Bob Villa EdenPURE Heater Scam Revealed
Ads for EdenPURE portable infrared heaters promise energy savings of up to 50 percent. This article will examine the claims made by EdenPURE’s manufacturer and expose what many claim is a scam.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If a simple electric space heater can cut energy consumption by 50 percent, then the government may wish to promote the product with tax incentives in order to break America’s dependence on foreign oil.
The EdenPURE heater is several times as expensive as other infrared electric heaters. Issues of safety, durability, and return on investment must be considered before purchasing one of the most expensive portable infrared heaters on the market.
EdenPURE’s manufacturer makes several claims about its heater. The claims include:
- A three-year warranty. I can take EdenPURE at its word here. If it backs its product for three years, three years it is. While the video review above had a very poor customer service experience, I have heard of several instances where customers reported poor performance and the manufacturer accepted the return of the product. It appears to me that the company does back its product, standing behind their warranty.
- That EdenPURE is safer than other portable electric heaters. Here is the first claim that falls short. Thirty years ago, portable electric heaters were a greater safety risk than today, and could cause burns and fires. However, recent portable electric heaters have improved dramatically. I use Lasko portable heaters in my barn to keep the room with waterworks warm. I can put my hand on the grill for any length of time without discomfort. Since the coils are contained, the risk of kids burning their hands is diminished, and the risk of burning the house down is unlikely if the heater has an overload shut-off switch—most do. EdenPURE's safety features are not an advantage, as every other electric heater on the market has the same features.
- Heats up to 1,000 square feet (some only heat 500 square feet). Big deal. Do you know how much 1,000 square feet is? The size of your garage. What's more, unless the building is very well insulated, the EdenPURE will not heat a standard 1,000 square foot room. Maybe Wisconsin is too cold for a heater to warm 1,000 square feet. As for the EdenPURE Gen7 heater, 500 square feet is just a 20 by 25 foot room. In most climates, a 1500-watt electric heater does almost as well. Back to my barn. I set my 1500-watt Lasko on low and it keeps the room at over 40 degrees, even when the outdoor temperature dips down to -20° F. The room is well insulated, but that is another article.
- Has a remote control. What doesn’t?
- Endorsed by Bob Villa. Products requiring a celebrity endorsement in most cases are junk. Only a rip off or scam needs to rely on what a famous person says rather than performance.
My trusty Lasso heater is only $25 and can easily heat a small room.
What is your experience with EdenPURE heaters?
Where Does a Portable Electric Heater Save You Money?
There are a few ways to use a portable electric heater to save money:
- By heating areas difficult to heat any other way. It is definitely cheaper to heat my room in the barn with a portable electric heater than it would be by installing a furnace. It would take a hundred years for the power costs of running an electric heater to equal the cost of a furnace, and other heating units can carry fire risks.
- By heating rooms of the home or shop that are naturally cooler than the rest. When the wind comes from a certain direction, side rooms of your home may get a little cool. A portable electric heater can keep small rooms warmer without heating the remainder of the home to a higher temperature.
The Biggest Claim of All
Electric heaters are not an efficient way to heat a home cheaply. A 1500-watt heater will produce at most 5000 BTUs. You cannot get more energy out of an electron than is in it. Claiming an electric heater will reduce your energy bill at all is stretching the truth. Saying you might cut your heating bill in half is a lie.
If you read EdenPURE ads carefully, you will note they insinuate you only have to heat the room you are in. By not heating the unoccupied rooms of your home, you will cut your heating bill.
The problem with this, of course, is that you are not saving money by heating the house more efficiently. You are just cutting costs by heating a smaller area—something you could have done without a $400 space heater. Because heating up a room with electric heat is the most expensive way to do it, simply closing off furnace ducts to unused rooms would result in bigger savings using an EdenPURE, and it would not involve the cost of a new heater.
Scam or Deal
The EdenPURE portable electric heater is a scam by my count. It is a well-marketed $40 electric heater selling for $400 or more. For under $100, you can buy a better-looking, better-built heater that will serve your needs for years to come. Amazon has some of the best prices on heaters and ships right to your door. If a portable electric heater serves your needs, a low-cost model will kick out the same heat as an expensive model.
Don’t let anyone tell you the heat from their heaters is better or different. Heat is the movement of air molecules. EdenPURE claims it uses a copper coil to reduce harsh heat. This actually makes their heater less efficient. You can put a sheet of copper in front of your heater and buffer the heat with any electric heater. Though I don’t know why you would want to.
EdenPURE claims stretch the truth. It does not lie if you read carefully, but still, misdirection, celebrity endorsement, and colorful marketing meant to make the consumer believe overblown claims cannot make the EdenPURE portable electric heater anything but a scam. Save 80 percent off EdenPURE’s cost by using a competitor’s brand.
[Author's Note: A few comments are concerned with my personal experience with EdenPURE. Several EdenPURE heaters have been tested and compared against Lasko electric heaters. Both heated equal areas in comparable ways, even though the Lasko only costs about $50.]