How to Dispose of Broken Glass Garbage Safely
How Do You Dispose of Broken Glass Safely?
How to get rid of broken glass safely in the garbage.
Do you need to get rid of unwanted bits of glass? Understanding how to dispose of dangerous garbage like broken glass and crokery is important for everyone's safety.
If you do not have access to a glass recycling bin or a depot, here is the best solution.
Items You Will Need
- A piece of cloth, the thicker the better. The size will depend upon the amount of glass.
- A hammer.
- A box with a lid.
- Strong adhesive tape.
- Paper and a red marker.
How to Safely Dispose of Broken Glass
- Place the glass onto the cloth and wrap it securely so that it is covered.
- Gently break into smaller pieces.
- Lift and put it into your box.
- If the box is big and there is a large gap, then put more cloth on top of the wrapped glass to keep it secure.
- Close the box and seal with strong tape.
- On the large white piece of paper, write the words "Danger. Broken glass in box" in red.
- Attach danger sign to the box with tape.
- Place on a high shelf until garbage collection day.
- Make a reminder for yourself beside your garbage bin so you don’t forget to place the box of glass inside the bin for collection.
How Not to Dispose of Broken Glass
Ok, let's go back to the beginning where you have just broken some glass.
Here is the wrong way to dispose of it:
- Don't wrap the glass in newspaper and then throw it into your bin bag or trash can. The glass will cut through the paper. The only thing you've done is camouflage a very dangerous weapon and created an accident waiting to happen.