The Pros and Cons of Cleaning with Vinegar
In an attempt to liver a greener lifestyle I started using vinegar to clean my home instead of harsh cleaners you find at the store. Not only is vinegar a great green cleaning product, it also costs much less than typical store bought cleaners. Vinegar can safely clean almost any surface in your house from windows to wood to the inside of your refrigerator. However, for all the pros vinegar cleaner offers, there are some cons as well. Here's my list of pros and cons for vinegar cleaner.
Vinegar Cleaning Pros:
- Cheaper than store bought cleaners
- Safe to use around kids and pets
- Better for the environment and can use the same bottle over and over
- Can be used on many different surfaces
- Is a great substitute for fabric softener
- Easy to find at any supermarket
- Will not ruin your clothes if you spill it on yourself while cleaning
Vinegar Cleaning Cons:
- The smell (even with adding extracts and using different types of vinegar)
- You must make sure you label your cleaner bottle carefully
- Doesn't cut through grease as well as commercial products
From my experience with using vinegar cleaner, the pros have greatly outweighed the cons. The smell can be strong at first but it quickly dissipates in the air and I usually just burn a candle while I clean. I have also added various extracts like lemon and orange to help a little with the smell. As for cutting through grease, I use very hot soapy water and clean the area twice with two different rags. For other ways to use vinegar as a cleaning product in your home, check out the links below.
- Vinegar - safe and natural green cleaner
Ways to make your home a healthier place for you and your family using white distilled vinegar.