25 Ways to Make Household Chores Fun
Growing up second oldest in a family with eight children, I have done my fair share of house chores. When I was young I would invent little games to make cleaning less boring. Washing the dishes became my own secret cooking show, where I would teach my invisible audience to make “root beer floats” with suds in the dirty glasses. Scrubbing the bathroom turned into cleaning up after the wild cats in the zoo (to appreciate this fully, you must know I had six brothers), and the uneven thumping of the dryer became an army troop coming to capture us.
While I may have been a slightly odd child, we all learn to make cleaning a game in some way when we are young. Singing “Clean up, clean up, everybody, everywhere,” in preschool and making tower stacks with blocks while putting them away encouraged us to make the best out of life’s inevitable chores.
Then somewhere along the way, we lose our imagination. Jobs around the house become the bane of our existence. Is it possible to bring some joy back into everyday cleaning?
Which chore is your least favorite?
Here are 25 ways you can make household tasks more enjoyable:
1. Wear a cute apron to feel like a modern June Cleaver.
2. Make doing chores in the evening relaxing with candles and soft lighting.
3. Experiment with making homemade green cleaners that are less harsh on the skin, eyes, and lungs. Peppermint, lavender, orange, or lemon oils make aromatic additions to homemade solutions.
4. Tie up your hair in a bandana like Rosie the Riveter and go to war with dust bunnies pin-up style (You can do it!).
5. Make cleaning a family affair. Chatting while scrubbing makes a job ten times more fun.
6. Brainstorm witty inventions while washing the dishes (and record any awesome ideas!). Finding a solution to something that annoys you could end up making you millions.
7. Sip a glass of wine or your favorite hot beverage while working.
8. Invest in some adorable dish washing gloves to give you a smile while scrubbing.
9. Fold laundry over your favorite TV show or movie. The warmth of freshly dried clothes can make TV time soothing.
10. See who can think of the best oxymoron while cleaning (oxymorons are contradictory terms like “jumbo shrimp” or “nearsighted overseer”).
11. Dream up the plot for a book while ironing (who knows, you may think up the next hit seller).
12. Practice your opera while cleaning the shower.
13. Take turns making up and answering “Would you rather…?” questions with your kids as you do chores together. Here is one to get you started: Would you rather have to scrub the entire Eiffel tower with a toothbrush, or clean state prison showers while wearing a chicken suit?
14. Play your favorite music as you work.
15. Put on a heart rate monitor and see how many calories you can burn as you clean. Add jumping jacks between tasks to get your number higher.
16. Try a new kind of dish soap each time you run out, picking whichever you find most appealing in scent and color.
17. Play the Alphabet Picnic game with your kids as you all work together. The first person says, “I’m going on a picnic, and I’m going to bring…” adding an item that starts with the letter ‘A.’ As you take turns, each person must remember all other items mentioned (in order) and add a new item with the next letter of the alphabet.
18. Make up a song while vacuuming.
19. Purchase a soft pair of slippers to feel like you’re walking on air as you work.
20. Indulge in some rich chocolate in between chores to keep your morale up.
21. Put your hair up in rollers and swipe on some lipstick before you begin. You’ll feel cute when you catch a glimpse of yourself cleaning in the bathroom mirrors, and will be sporting lovely waves by the time you have finished.
22. Think of 15 things you are thankful for while dusting.
23. Stop and enjoy the sunset while you’re taking out the trash.
24. Surprise your partner by taking care of their assigned chore. Knowing how much they will appreciate it will make the job less of an annoyance, and seeing his/her smile will brighten your day.
25. Make it a ritual to take a deep breath and savor how good the house looks when you’re done. Then give yourself a soak in your sparkling bathtub.