Sunny is a gadget and technology enthusiast, with an eye for design and a love of functionality.
Why Choose a Name for a Roomba or Other Autonomous Vacuum Robot?
The short answer is that you will probably have to name your device when you open the program that sets it up for the first time, and it deserves a great name.
Your Roomba (or any other autonomous vacuum robot you have) will move around, use your electricity, and interact with its surroundings as it cleans your messes. It is basically a member of your household! And the fact is that you'll probably have to say this name out loud to company or your smart devices. It happens a lot more often than you might think, believe me.
You could go with something fun to say. Something that will make you laugh is always a good choice. You might give it a pet's name to show your affection, or a name that references its purpose of cleaning, perhaps involving some play on sweeping, dusting, or vacuuming. You could focus on the fact that it's a machine and choose a metal or classic robot name.
For over 200 more specific ideas, read on.
Top 10 Roomba Names
- DJ Roomba: This is the name of Tom Haverford's Roomba on "Parks and Recreation." Choosing this name allows you to shout, whenever you want, that "DJ Roomba's tearing it up!"
- WALL-E: From the Pixar movie of the same name. WALL-E spends his days cleaning up enormous piles of trash until he is whisked away on an adventure. This name works on more than one level, as I can promise you that your cleaning device will be well acquainted with your walls. See also EVE, a futuristic robot who is Wall-E's romantic interest.
- Brass Monkey: It's not likely to be made of brass, but it is made of metal. Plus, giving this name to your Roomba is also giving it a theme song.
- Dustbin Timberlake: A humorous play on well-known pop star Justin Timberlake. Another one that basically comes with theme music attached.
- Vlad the Inhaler: More wordplay, this time on Vlad the Impaler. This choice is sure to please your household history fans.
- Fritz: It's a real name, but it takes on a whole new meaning when given to a robot. After a few years, you'll get to tell people every day that Fritz is on the fritz.
- Dirty Hairy: This has got to be what Clint Eastwood named his Roomba. Just remember that you should always follow the manufacturer's instructions whenever your device actually does get dirty and hairy. If you don't, well, you'll just have to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?"
- Cinderoomba: Cinderella is a fairytale about a beautiful girl who is forced to clean the house for her relatives. This is definitely a bedtime favorite in the Roomba household.
- Homer: Another name that works on more than one level. Not only do you leave your Roomba at home all the time, but the ancient poet Homer also wrote the Odyssey, with major themes of wandering and returning home. I can promise you that wandering and returning home will be two of your Roomba's favorite activities.
- Rosie or Rosey: The robot maid and housekeeper on "The Jetsons". Also consider her romantic interest, Mac.
Famous Butler, Maid, or Cleaningsperson Names
You could always choose a classy-sounding name like Basil or Pennyworth, or you could choose
- Jeeves: Perhaps the most classic butler name, most famously in P.G. Wodehouse's "Jeeves" stories and their 1990s TV adaptation "Jeeves and Wooster", as well as the Ask Jeeves search engine on the early internet.
- Alfred: Bruce Wayne's butler in most "Batman" media
- Alice: The housekeeper on "The Brady Bunch"
- Jarvis: Tony Stark / Iron Man's AI assistant in the Marvel universe
- Mega-Maid: A maid themed transformation of one of the space ships in 1987's "Spaceballs"
- Consuela: A stubborn housekeeper character on "Family Guy". Stubborn may be the key word that matches your robot helper's personality.
- Woodhouse: The long-suffering manservant to the namesake character on TV's "Archer"
- Amelia Bedelia: A lovable maid in a children's book series who always misunderstands directions
- Cinderella: A fairytale heroine who also cleans a lot
- Nanny McPhee: A housekeeper with magical powers and her own media franchise
- Charlie: The character who does all the cleaning (and the rest of the "Charlie Work") in "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia"
- Argus Filch: The caretaker at Hogwarts Castle in "Harry Potter"
- Dobby, Winky, or Kreacher: House-elves in the "Harry Potter" books
Read More From Dengarden
Punny and Clever Roomba Names
FDR (Succeeded Hoover)
God Save the Clean
Vlad the Inhaler
Domo Arigato Mr. Roombato
Let's get ready to Rumba
Mr. Roomba Beat
Samuel L. Vacsun
Vac the Knife
Return of the Vac
Androomba Lloyd Webber
Floor of a Kind
Timon and Roomba
Pet Roomba Names
The first Roomba I ever encountered belonged to one of my good friends who lived in an apartment that didn't allow pets. Their Roomba filled a small part of that role as a sort of surrogate pet. They named it After a neighbor's dog that one of them had known when she was younger: Rover, which works on more than one level if you think about it. Of course, you could name your pet anything you want. However, by giving your Roomba a name that is more commonly given to a pet, you give it a place in your household. Consider classic pet names such as:
Situational Roomba Names
Another option is to name your cleaning assistant after the type of material or situation you expect it to deal with most commonly. Some common cases:
- Snow White
- Leafy Green
- Muddy Buddy
- Routine Maintenance
Barnyard Names for Cleaning Robots
|Classic Pig Names||Classic Goat Names|
Vincent van Goat
Toga (goat anagram)
Kevin (Kevin Bacon)
Billy the Kid
Famous Robot Names for Roombas
There are plenty of famous robots throughout history, and there's no reason you couldn't repurpose one of the great names they've been given. After all, your Roomba is a robot too. Pick your own favorite robot and name your Roomba the same. Here are a few to get you started:
- R2-D2, BB-8, C-3PO: All robots (or "droids", as they're known) in the "Star Wars" franchise
- H.A.L: An artificial intelligence in "2001: A Space Odyssey". Not a name for the faint of heart.
- R.O.B: Nintendo's Robotic Operating Buddy.
- Bender: A robot with personality on "Futurama". Sometimes known as Bender the Offender.
- Dolores: The lead character on "Westworld"
- Robby: As seen in "Forbidden Planet" and many other media.
- Robocop: He serves the public trust, protects the innocent, and upholds the law. Great expectations for your little robot.
- Data: The android from "Star Trek"
Fitting and Funny Roomba Name Ideas
The Floor is Lava
Stuck in the Middle
Who Left This Here
Shaken, Not Stirred
Ozzie (Ozzie Smith)
Pepe la Pew
Dry Clean Only
Thar She Blows
Stuck Under the Chair
Little Bobby Tables
Brave Little Roomba
Rob (short for Robot)
Bob (Short for Robot)
[Whispered] Roomb Roomb