Rachel is a passionate plantsperson, YouTuber and author living in Ireland. She grows a wide range of hardy subtropical and tropical plants.
Houseplants That Do Well in Evening Light
Today I want to tell you about three fantastic plants for a west-facing window sill. The sun rises in the east and sets in the west, giving you direct sunlight through your west-facing window in the afternoon and evening, and this suits a variety of plants.
Top 3 Plants for West-Facing Windows
- Jade Plant
- Swiss Cheese Plant
- Air Plant
1. Jade Plant (Crassula ovata)
The jade plant, or money plant, is the ideal house plant for beginners as it needs very little care. It looks like a bonsai tree with jade green fleshy leaves and pink stems that become woody with age.
- Grow the jade plant in a west window and water thoroughly whenever the top inch or two of compost has become dry.
- Never allow your plant to sit in water.
- Feed with a half-strength liquid fertilizer once in spring, summer, and autumn.
- Grow your jade plant in cactus compost and repot every two or three years in spring.
2. Swiss Cheese Plant (Monstera deliciosa)
My second plant is the ubiquitous Swiss cheese plant, or Monstera deliciosa. Now, this is a big plant that will need staking. It's grown for its wonderful foliage, and the variegated forms are extremely popular. This plant will really appreciate your west-facing window.
- This is an unfussy plant that prefers to be kept on the dry side.
- Apply a balanced liquid fertilizer monthly when in growth.
- The Swiss cheese plant can be grown in the same pot for many years.
3. Air Plant (Tillandsia argentea)
My final plant is the air plant, and air plants are a wonderful novelty that are grown without any medium. They can be placed on a west-facing window sill or hung.
- Choose silver foliage plants, as these are easier to care for than the green.
- Water about once a week by spraying or dipping the plant in water.
- Water them less frequently in winter.
- Don't submerge any flower spikes when watering.
Choosing Houseplants for Other Windows
- Best Plants for East-Facing Windows
Which flowering houseplants thrive in east-facing windows? Streptocarpus (Cape primrose) and Christmas cactus are two great options. Learn to care for them properly (with videos).
- Plants for South-Facing Windows (3 Easy, Sun-Loving Favorites)
From the endearing star cactus to the glossy forest lily, here are several plants that thrive in south-facing windows.
© 2021 Rachel Darlington