Hi, I'm Sam, I enjoy writing about nutrition and health-related topics, especially alternative and plant-based remedies.
You Can Grow Your Own Wheatgrass at Home
Do you want to grow wheatgrass within the boundary of your home? If yes, then there is more than one method you can use inside your house.
Nowadays more and more people are moving into flats and rented places, as owning a house is becoming so expensive. Hence people who are staying in a rented apartment or flats think that they cannot grow this miracle plant in their homes. But you are greatly mistaken, since growing wheatgrass can be done anywhere and everywhere thanks to helpful kits.
Benefits of Homegrown Wheatgrass
It also makes economic sense to grow your own, as one tray of wheatgrass supplies you with enough grass for 8–10 days of juice. It is fun and easy to grow. Plus, not only does the wheatgrass have health benefits, it also gives immense satisfaction knowing that what you are drinking you grew yourself.
What Supplies Do You Need?
You can grow it indoors or outdoors, and it is a simple process. Firstly, you would require seedling wheatgrass trays. Each tray would require half a pound of seeds, which will supply you with approximately 10 ounces of juice. If you require more, then just up the container size to meet your requirements.
Where to Buy Wheagrass Kits and Trays
If you check out the market near your place, you will surely find various types of wheatgrass growing trays and kits. These growing kits are specially designed so as to enable you to grow wheatgrass inside your house without facing any complication. Once you get hold of one of the trays, then there is not much stuff you will need to grow this plant.
If you do not find wheatgrass kits in the departmental store or market, then no need to worry, as you can definitely get it in through several online shopping sites very easily. Buying the wheatgrass kits online has its own benefits too as it saves you loads of time and money, since big retailers sell at a discount compared to small local sellers. You can regularly find great offers and, if you buy the wheatgrass growing trays during these times, you can save a lot of money. Shipping is done fast and safe—I never had a broken tray.
How to Grow Wheatgrass on Trays
There are a series of steps which you should follow closely when you are trying to grow wheatgrass on trays with growing kits. These steps are not rocket science, hence you can relax as the process of growing this plant in trays is more or less like planting flowers in the flowering pots.
You can do some research before you buy any of the wheatgrass trays, as there are two types of trays available: one with holes on them and another is without holes. Buying wheatgrass kits with holes is more preferable by most people.
For planting the seeds in the trays, you are going to need a few items:
- organic, good-quality wheatgrass seeds
- superior quality plastic wheatgrass growing kits
- organic soil
- organic fertilizers from a well-reputed brand
- a water spray
Read More From Dengarden
- Wash the seeds in clean cold water.
- Put them in the growing kits.
- Soak the seeds for about 10 hours in clean and cold water, draining three times after soaking them. Place three times more water than the quantity of the seeds you have in your wheatgrass trays.
- Plant the seeds in the kits and keep them under partial sunlight until the leaves appear.
How to Grow Wheatgrass Seeds
Wheatgrass seeds (wheatberries) are best grown in soil rather than using hydroponics, as the wheatgrass absorbs the nutrients from the soil and does not derive much from the water base of hydroponics. If you don’t have seedling trays, then any container will suffice if you are growing your seeds indoors. The basic principal is as follows
- The wheatgrass seed is a hard-shelled seed, so it requires soaking for up to 12 hours and then placed in a jar to sprout over the next 24 hours. Once a short ‘tail’ is visible, then it is time to plant your seeds into a seedling tray.
- The seeds can be planted in potting soil or even in organic soil if you wish to grow organic wheatgrass. Water them every day and possibly mist spray them in the evenings. After four days, a sprout or blade of grass will appear. Always remember to keep the seedlings in the shade, as they don’t like direct sunlight.
- You should be able to harvest the wheatgrass within 7–12 days. The longer you wait, the more bitter the wheatgrass becomes, so harvest earlier rather than later. Use a pair of scissors to cut the grass close to the seed. Once cut, then start fresh with new wheatgrass seeds to ensure that you never run short of the juice that is so essential to your body.
- Your cut wheatgrass will last in the refrigerator for up to seven days, which gives you time to start the next round of sprouting and growing your new batch of wheatgrass seeds.
Incorporating Wheatgrass Into Your Diet
Start growing and then juicing your own wheatgrass. Once you have your wheatgrass shot or smoothie on a daily basis, you will notice an immediate difference in the way you feel. You will also notice a marked increase in your energy levels.
If you suffer from early morning leg cramps—which some people do as part of the aging process—you will notice how quickly these disappear once you begin drinking wheatgrass juice.
The Importance of Organic Seeds
If you are really going the health route with any foods that you consume, then the right way to go would be organic. You can buy organic soil and grow with organic seeds and know that your wheatgrass is free from any latent pesticides in the potting soil. The cost difference is minimal, so start the process right the first time and go organic wheatgrass seeds.
If you grow a large quantity of wheatgrass, you need not waste any of it. Once you have the pure juice, then pour it into ice block freezer trays and pop it in your freezer. If you do not want your freezer to have loads of space consuming freezer trays, then once the wheatgrass juice is frozen, pop out the blocks, place them in a freezer bag, and store it in the freezer.
Make It a Daily Routine
Ideally, you should have wheatgrass juice daily to derive the optimum health benefits. If you do not like the taste, then mix it with fruit juice or alternatively add it to a green smoothie. Your body will thank you for it in the long run.
Go out and buy your wheatgrass seeds today and join the throngs of people who have derived satisfaction from growing their own organic wheatgrass and ultimately nourishing their mind and body.
Another interesting aspect to wheatgrass is that it can be fed to your household pets as a nutritional supplement, particularly as they age.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2021 Sam Shepards