Walter Shillington writes about products he knows firsthand. His articles focus on healthcare, electronics, watches, and household items.
Discovering Indoor Lighting and the Vogek Grow Light
One cold December evening, several years ago, I stopped at a snow-covered lot and purchased a Christmas tree. Anxious to promote his business as green, the vendor also supplied a plastic bag containing a tiny pine sapling.
Although confined to a small pot that has thwarted its attempts to grow, I still have the pine sapling. It sits in front of my dining room window, basking in the sun, and, despite my notable lack of a green thumb, has managed to survive.
In an attempt to brighten my kitchen, I added a smattering of greenery to this room as well. Unfortunately, the ideal location for these plants was nowhere near either of the room’s windows.
I checked out Amazon, searching for an inexpensive grow light that could handle a wide variety of plants. My final choice was a Vogek LED system with three adjustable lamps.
Description of the Vogek Grow Light
The Vogek Grow Light weighs 2.2 pounds. The large plastic clamp, which manages the light’s operations, receives power via an AC adaptor. Three flexible metal arms extend 18 inches from the clamp, each terminating with an LED lamp.
The LED lamps are of the screw-on variety and are expected to enjoy a long lifespan. When they do die, replacements are available for about ten dollars. These lamps cover the full spectrum of visible light.
The operation of this device is relatively simple. Clamp the light securely, plug it into an AC outlet, and position the three lamps in such a way that the plants are properly bathed in light.
A power button allows for the operation of one, two, or all three lamps. The lamps’ intensity can be adjusted from 10% to 100%. A timer may be set, if required, limiting operation to three, six, or twelve hours per day. Once the timer is initiated, the lights will turn on and shut down at the selected times each day.
Vogek is trademarked by the Shenzhen AiWoLi Technology Co., Ltd. This company is based in China.
Specifications of the Vogek Grow Light
- Brand: Vogek
- Name: LED grow light
- Model: SP312
- Weight: 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds)
- Extension length: 46 centimeters (18 inches)
- Number of lamps: Three
- Lamp: 48 LED beads. Full-spectrum
- Rated power: 72W
- Operating voltage: 12V
- Color temperature: 4000K
- Spectral wavelength: 380–800nm
- Spectral patterns: Full spectrum
- Beam angle: 120 degrees
- Irradiation angle: 360 degrees
- Timer modes: 3, 6, 12 hours
- Dimming modes: 10–100% in ten steps
- Lifespan: Approximately 50,000 hours
- IP rating: IP44
Light Spectrum, Intensity, and Duration
The Vogek light met all of the necessary standards to keep my plants thriving, while also being aesthetically pleasing.
Wavelengths between 400 and 700 nm (nanometers) provide all the energy required by plants.
- Blue wavelengths (430 to 450 nm) promote vigorous root growth and intense photosynthesis. This is useful during the early phases of plant growth, such as starting seedlings.
- Red light (640 to 680 nm) encourages stem growth and flowering, as well as fruit and chlorophyll production.
- Green (495 – 570 nm) and yellow (570 – 590 nm) light also assist in the photosynthesis process.
A source that emits illumination throughout this entire range will best provide for the needs of plants. The Vogek LED grow light meets this standard.
Not all plants require the same amount of light. Some prefer the brightness of the full sun, while others thrive with less. The intensity of the Vogek Grow Light is adjustable.
Light duration is essential, especially during the blooming period. For indoor plant growth under artificial lights, a minimum of 12 to 14 hours of light each day is generally needed.
Darkness is important as well. It allows the plant to rest and triggers the flowering response.
Vogek Grow Light Pros and Cons
The Vogek is an aesthetically pleasing, durable lamp with almost zero drawbacks.
- The shiny metal flexible extensions of this device are quite striking, and the lamps themselves are attractive.
- I found the lights, while intended to assist photosynthesis, also brighten and focus attention on the plants being displayed.
- This device is sturdily constructed, and quality control appears to be excellent. LED lights generally enjoy a long lifespan and, when these lamps do burn out, replacements are available at a reasonable price.
- My only quibble concerns the flat-black clamp. If it had been colored green, the clamp would have faded more discreetly into the background.
This grow light is well built and provides plenty of illumination. I am particularly impressed by the ability to easily position each of the three lamps in precisely the right location. The Vogek LED grow light is recommended.
Questions & Answers
Question: How do you set the timer on the Vogek grow light?
Answer: Turn on the light and press the 'timer' button. You can select 3, 6, or 12 hours. Once set, the light will turn on for the specified period each day. Each time you press the timer button, the amount of time the light stays on changes. You can tell how long it will remain on by viewing the small LED timing light.
Question: How do you set the Vogek grow light t to turn on the same time every day?
Answer: If, for example, you want it to turn on at 8:00 each morning, simply turn it on and set the timer at 8:00. It will continue turning on at the same time each day.
© 2019 Walter Shillington