How to Paint the Exterior of a Two Story House
Painting the exterior of a two story house can be quite a daunting project. This is especially true for those that became AARP eligible a few years back, are not quite as agile as they used to be and have aging knees and/or a fear of climbing tall ladders.
Prepare the Surface to be Painted
The first and most important part of exterior painting involves Subtrate or Surface Preparation. If the surface isn't prepared the paint may not adhere properly or there may be premature peeling.
The surface we were painting was the existing alluminum siding.
- We used a solution of TSP and water applied and then scrubbed onto the siding with a car wash brush.
- If there is mildew on the surface, bleach can be added to the cleaning solution in a ratio of 1 part bleach to 4 parts water.
- Use a hose to rinse off each section after cleansing.
- The surface must be totally dry before it can be painted.
Ladders Have Their Limitations
Working from the ground up we graduated from 4 to 8 ft. ladders to complete the lower part of the house.
We then rented a Boom Lift for the upper story. It was the best way to get at the high peaks and those areas where it would be difficult to negotiate the pitch of the roof.
Choose Your Paint
We chose a Glidden semi-gloss latex exterior paint and had it tinted to match the siding on the adjacent barn. All we had to do was give Home Depot a piece of the siding and they matched the color beautifully!
While they were mixing the paint we gathered
- paint brushes of varying sizes
- paint trays
- painter's tape
Make sure you have all the supplies on hand so you don't have to interrupt your work for a shopping run.
Rent a Boom Truck!
Working with a boom truck can be intimidating!
- For starters you have to have an SUV or truck that is capable of towing it home.
- It has a control panel with lots of buttons and instructions.
- Before it will lift you there are quite a few safety features that must be employed.
- When you situate the lift you want to be sure the arm of the boom will have clearance to maneuver the bucket around as much of the surface you want to paint.
- This is important because when you need to move the lift to a different area it is not easy.
- As long as we were not on an incline we could push it a very short distance.
- However, when it needed to be placed on a different side of the house it was necessary to raise the outriggers, secure the boom in a stowed position, hitch it back up to the truck and tow it around. This is one heavy piece of equipment!
There are some possible hazards you have to watch out for:
- telephone wires
- electrical wires
- where the outriggers that lift the tires off the ground and stabalize it are going to land (you don't want to crush plants and especially feet!)
Using the Boom Lift Bucket
Our boom had a bucket that could accommodate 2 people up to 500 pounds total. This feature allowed us to be much more efficient as we could paint the surface twice as fast as just one person could.
There was room for a paint tray and can of paint on the floor. Once situated correctly the boom could move us up, down and across a large surface.
Working with tall ladders would have been much more difficult! Not only would it have been more precarious, just think about having to move them every few feet and then climbing up and down all day long while carrying your can of paint and brush. Using a roller would be out of the question.
Using a Boom Truck is the Answer!
- With some practice the boom is easy to operate.
- You can't help but feel safe and secure once up in the bucket.
- The self leveling outriggers come down, lift the tires off the ground and secure it in place.
- The emergency brake is employed.
- The key has to be switched to control the bucket and it can be controlled from the ground or inside the bucket.
I would recommend the use of a boom lift for anyone who needs to paint the exterior of a two or more story house (it has a reach of 50 ft!!)
Questions & Answers
What is the cost to rent a lift?
I believe it cost $150.00 for the weekend.Helpful 2