Pole Barn House
Pole Barn House
This is the story of a pole barn house. It is 1,085 SF with 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, and a storage/sleeping loft. Features include:
- modern style
- shed roof
- high ceilings
- pole building construction
- solar passive design
- radiant in-floor heat and
- some universal design principles
It makes a great small home, cabin, cottage, or guesthouse and its simple shape makes it easy to build!
Pole Barn House Foundation
For the foundation, holes 1' - 2' in diameter were dug 4' in the ground below the frost line. Then 1' of cement was poured in the bottom of the holes and posts were placed on top of the cement. The holes were then backfilled. The cement pads distribute the weight from the load on the post. The posts were treated 6X6's, and spacing varied from 6' - 10' apart.
Pole Barn House Lot
Getting a building project off on the right foot starts with getting the right lot for your project or knowing how to best work with the lot you have. In this case, here are some of the pole barn house lot attributes:
- No lot clearing was needed as we built in the open part of the land
- Minimal leveling (excavation) was needed for the driveway
- Shade from the wooded part of the lot in the south provides for natural cooling in the summer (this building project was built in the north; if building in the south you would want to do the opposite)
If you are looking for land here are some things that might be helpful to look for as you seek a lot to build on:
- Minimal excavation needed
- Good drainage
- Proper sun exposure or shelter (depending on if you are building in the north or south)
- Land that perks for a regular septic system (specialized system can be triple the cost!)
Pole Barn House Doors and Windows
Pole building construction allows for easy placement of doors and windows. I used all salvaged and builder restock doors and windows. The total price for ALL of them ... $1,519! If you decide to use salvaged doors and windows make sure to get ones that are in excellent working condition.
Here are some places to look for salvaged, reclaimed, and builder restock doors and windows:
- classified Ads
- builder restock stores
- garage sales
- let friends and family know that you are in the market for quality used doors and windows; they may have some or know of someone who does!
* Always make sure doors and windows are in excellent working condition before buying!
Here is the best piece of advice I received from a designer regarding reclaimed doors and windows ...
"Don't worry if you find windows and doors that don't match in color or size. If you find a good deal pick them up because you can always use them somewhere in your house. It may mean that each wall will have a different color but if designed right people will never know--or will think it is supposed to be that way."
Pole Barn House Exterior
The material palette of the pole barn house is wood, metal, and concrete. The exterior is plywood siding stained with an eco-friendly exterior stain, wood trim, and metal roof, soffit, facia, and skirt board.
Pole Barn House Interior
In the interior has low VOC paint and matte clear coat on the concrete floor. The following photos were taken during construction ...
Pole Barn House Miscellaneous Photos
Some universal design features were incorporated including:
- stairless entry
- 36" wide door openings
- French doors in bedrooms for ample egress
- 5' turn radius in work spaces
The Study Plan is available for purchase here:
- Pole Barn House Study Plan Barn House Pole Barn Modern | Etsy
This is a study plan for a pole barn house. It is 1,085 SF with 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, storage / sleeping loft and features: modern style, high ceilings, pole building construction, solar passive design, radiant in floor heat, and some universal design
Photos of the farm I grew up on ...
Pole Building Benefits
I went with pole building construction for the following reasons:
- minimal impact on land
- easily passes code
- appraises as a stick-built home
- ease of construction
- able to get the roof on early!
I hope found something inspiring or helpful here!
Would you live in a barn house?
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
Questions & Answers
© 2011 Lisa