How to Get a Ceramic Bathroom Towel Bar Off the Wall
How to Remove a Ceramic Towel Bar
Do you have one of these in your bathroom? Is it in the wrong place, like mine was? It's not that hard to remove. Here is how I did it.
What You'll Need:
An X-Acto knife, a chisel, and a hammer.
How to Do It:
- Score around the edges of the ceramic bar mount with the X-Acto knife.
- Next, take your chisel and hammer and carefully tap around the ceramic bar mount that you have scored. I used the very corner of the chisel to tap it. It will become loose, but don't let it drop. If someone is available, they can hold on to it till it is completely tapped around. Then the ceramic towel bar mount should just come off. Don't pull it off.
- When it is off, you can sand the wall opening to make it flat. Use a damp cloth to remove any dust from the wall.
Below, I'll show you how to repair the wall now that the bar has left a hole in it.
After the Towel Bar Is Off
This is what it looks like when the bar is removed. As I said, you will have to sand around the opening to make the wall smooth.
What to Use to Patch the Wall
Here is what I used to patch the wall. You can get these patches at any hardware store. It's a peel-and-paste mesh that fits over the hole. It's very easy—just peel and stick to the wall. You will also need some drywall-patching plaster and a drywall-taping knife.
Next, Apply the Plaster
- Apply one layer of plaster.
- After it dries, sand it very smooth with drywall sandpaper.
- Apply a second coat of plaster.
- After it dries, sand it again. Get it as smooth as possible.
Tip: Use a damp cloth to remove the dust between coats.
What to Do If Your Wall Has Texture
- Use a piece of cardboard to do a test spray to match your wall texture.
- After it dries, then you can paint.
(If you have flat walls, you don't need to do this.)
Note: The product pictured above is the one I used to match my wall texture. Get something like this from the hardware store.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
Questions & Answers
© 2012 Giftbaskets4uon