7 Ways to Create an Elegant Bedroom
How to Make Your Bedroom More Elegant
Imagine having the bedroom you’ve always dreamed of. It is elegant, sophisticated and full of special touches that make it feel like a 5-star resort or ripped straight from the pages of the latest home decor magazine—a masterpiece of perfection. Your dream bedroom is stylish and effortless with an understated color palette and luxurious bed linens. You can make this dream a reality. Our ideas will help you create an elegant bedroom you’ll never want to leave.
1. Consider Your Color Palette
Although it might sound simple, color is one of the most difficult decisions when it comes to decorating. However, if you're looking for an elegant color palette, there are specific hues that can add instant glamour to your bedroom.
Color selection is an important element in bedroom design.
- A monochromatic color scheme will not only look elegant it creates a soothing environment by using the differing tones and shades of a single color.
- Another visually pleasing option is an analogous palette consisting of hues adjacent to each other on the color wheel, which can create a dramatic effect.
- Or if you want to make it easy-peasy stick with two neutrals like white and beige or gray and ivory plus one accent color such as soft steel blue.
2. Collect Elegant Pieces of Furniture
Don’t feel the need to run out and buy everything at once. And by all means, do not purchase a matching collection. Your bedroom will exude elegance if you curate with quality furniture pieces over time. Whether you begin with a Regency armoire, a Queen Anne writing desk, or mirrored Deco bedside tables, start with a style that speaks to you and then gradually add compatible furniture pieces to the mix.
To find elegant pieces of furniture for your bedroom, check out estate sales and consignment shops for quality furniture at a decent price. If the fabric is worn, get it reupholstered to match the room's color scheme. Budget purchases allow you to buy more pieces and will give you an upscale designer look at a fraction of retail.
3. Invest in Bed Linens
There’s nothing that says elegance like sumptuous bed linens. Choose from Egyptian cotton, satin, silk, or linen to give your room the sensibility of an high-end hotel or romantic Italian villa. If you love the look and feel of silk or Egyptian cotton, you might want to stick to easy-care, durable cotton blends if you have kids and pets around the house.
Don’t forget bed pillows and a duvet insert. Natural down is the perfect choice for sheer elegance. However, you can do just a well with affordable, synthetic hypoallergenic fill. Either way, the comfort aspect is very important for a good night's sleep. Purchase the best pillows and comforter you can afford especially for the master bedroom. You can skimp a little when it comes to guest pillows, comforters and bed linens since they're not used every single night.
4. Add Elegant Architectural Accents
- Without architectural detail, your bedroom might look unfinished. For the ultimate in glamour, try adding one one of these types of molding to your bedroom, such as crown, high baseboard, ceiling beams or ceiling medallions. Crown molding connects the ceiling to the walls by giving the bedroom an elegant appearance. It will give your room an elegant and completed look.
- For an fresh accent, change out the hardware on your furniture with unique drawer pulls and knobs. For a small investment you can get expensive-looking hardware online, at flea markets, antique shops or home furnishings stores. Look for ones at an reasonable price to give your newly decorated bedroom an elegant and distinctive character.
- Most average bedrooms lack the right accessories. Give your room that special touch by incorporating metallic accessories such as gold, brass, or silver. Decorate the room with shimmering picture frames, lighting, wall mirrors or accent tables to create the feeling of affluence and glamour.
5. Amp Up Your Bedroom Lighting Decisions
In your tastefully designed bedroom it's a great way to create a mood with layered lighting. Begin with ambient lighting to illuminate the entire room. Next bring in small bedside lamps, pendants or a floor lamp for reading, using the computer or getting ready for bed. Finally add a glow lighting using wall sconces or an ornate chandelier.
To save money there are a few ideas to give your lighting an upscale look without taking a hit in your pocketbook. Shop thrift stores and garage sales for one-of-a-kind vintage lighting. Some retro fixtures may require a new coat of paint, new wiring or polishing but will end up looking like a million bucks.
6. Invest in Window Treatments
Window treatments will up the elegance quotient in your dream bedroom. Consider woven grass shades, plantation shutters or wood blinds as an organic touch to a coastal or exotic retreat. Layer curtains over your blinds, shades or sheers to help soften those hard edges.
When it comes to window treatments stick with luxurious materials such as natural silk, linen, cotton and velvet. For the height of opulence drape your windows in voluminous silk taffeta or classic Dupioni. Always be sure to dress your windows. It will ensure your bedroom will look stylish and well decorated.
7. Find the Focal Point
Every bedroom needs a focal point. Highlight those gorgeous linens with a bed that makes an unforgettable statement. Whether your preference is an ornately carved sleigh bed, a velvet tufted headboard or a wrought iron canopy—you can rest assured your bed will be the heart and soul of your elegant sanctuary.
Artwork is designed to inspire and evoke emotion. For that reason art can be used as a focal point in the bedroom. Nothing draws attention more than a beautiful print or photography. Choose a oil painting or a wall sculpture to perk up your bedroom.
Consider painting a wall a darker shade or even a completely different color. It will add visual interest and is an inexpensive way to create a focal point. Paint your headboard wall or a display wall showcasing a collection of local artwork. An accent wall can make your odd bedroom dimensions seem less awkward.
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Linda Chechar