Andrea is a freelance writer who has worked with HubPages for 8+ years. If you're interested in working with her, contact her now.
Crafting the Lion's Den
A Leo home is all about embracing the heat and putting the ego on display. Leo is going to be a very red, orange, yellow, and white home. Leo is the fixed sign of fire, and it's in the middle of summer. This sign needs a great deal of warmth to support its bigger than life personality.
The home should be rich with the scent of spices. The house should be full of vibrant and spectacular objects. Leo is all about exploring the element of fire, embracing the sun, and bringing out creativity.
A Leo home will have the following:
- Imagery of the sun
- Imagery of lions
- A great deal of yang energy in Feng Shui
- A place for movement, dancing, cardio
- Plenty of technology
- Imagery of hearts
- A throne like setting
First, let's look at what Leo's element brings to the table. As the fixed fire element, that means the home should embrace bold, bright colors. Everything should feel alive and awake. No room should be too dour or depressing. Blue is prohibited.
The fire element in Feng Shui relates more to yang than yin. I encourage people when they're designing their home to first put in the energy that relates more to them first in the house, in this case yang. To balance things out, slowly bring in more yin energy to counter it.
How do you know if you have too much yang energy in a Leo based home? You'll have trouble sleeping because of your restless thoughts, insomnia, dry skin, constantly thirsty, constipation, aggressive, overly passionate, anger fits, temper tantrums, high heart rate, high blood pressure, manic, problems with focus because you're not sure where to put your attention, overwhelmed, irritable, cranky, mad, and can't sit still.
Sharp Lines over Curves
When possible, opt for items that have distinct lines over curves. You should be able to feel on an object where the edges shift to another side, unlike something that is circular. Fire favors distinct geometric shapes like triangles and squares, not circles and ovals.
Fire takes on a triangular shape. This is the dominant shape overall for fire. When you need to add more fire energy into a room, just add triangles. Yang energy is also better displayed in pointy objects rather than circles -- display knives rather than cups and bowls. Also, pointed stars are considered yang. (Sometimes star shapes are just made up of triangles.)
Warm tones are definitely your best friend. Avoid shades of blue or black as these are more associated with water. Use earth tones sparingly and mostly to help blend metal elements in your home.
Red: this is a power color for you. You should have a little bit of red in every room. Red is all about heat, passion, romance, a symbol of blood and the heart, courage, and power. This is a highly attractive color in Leo homes.
Orange: this should be one of the most dominate colors in your home. Orange might represent Leo better than red. Red may be closer to its cousin Aries. Orange can give you wider options for blending colors and patterns in your home. It's bright and assertive, but not always aggressive.
Yellow: this should be used in shared spaces like bathrooms and family rooms. Yellow has some earth element to it, so it is good for connecting family spaces. It is one of the five classic colors normally associated with yin and yang. Yellow can help soften rooms where a deep red or orange might be too much.
Pink: this is an excellent color for more gentle or soothing rooms, like bedrooms, kid rooms, or the bathroom. Pink still has elements of red. It can balance a room that has too much yang without having to delve too deeply into yin energy. Pink can also be dreamy.
White: when in doubt, leave it white. This color looks nice and clean, and it isn't as overwhelming as some colors. White can help make a room more peaceful or pleasant.
Purple: opt for shades of purple that dip closer to red and pink rather than blue. Purple can be used in a variety of ways. It can make a room feel loud or gentle. I would put it in a bedroom or bathroom. Dark purples = more passionate and hard. Light purples = more gentle and soft.
Black: this can make things look singed and depressing. Leo does not need to be depressed. This is a color I would avoid as much as possible.
Blue: this color makes things look too watery, which puts fires out. Blue should only be used when a room has way too much yang energy and needs to be toned down. Don't use blue on walls for a Leo personality.
Green: if you're using green it needs to look closer to yellow than blue. Flora is still alive with greenery in summer, but it can get burnt to a crisp. Think tropical greens and jungles.
Gold: this is another prime color for Leo. This sign is considered the father or king of the Zodiac, and he would prefer gold in his crown and scepter over silver. Gold also represents the sun.
Silver: it's okay, but this color is more related to yin energy. Leo likes jewelry even though it will melt metals. Silver will likely fade into the atmosphere of a Leo home, so it's not the best. It has the same problem as green -- it can get washed out by Leo's intensity. Gold is better; it has a certain quality that keeps it fresh and fierce. So opt for gold over silver.
Brightness over Darkness
A Leo home should be noticeably bright and cheerful. There should be plenty of windows that allow for natural lighting. You should get solar power devices to keep the energy coming into the home -- of course the sun sign loves solar energy!
Leo would do well with ceiling windows. There should be sun and openness to your house. Shadows should be minimized. Leo needs the vitamins from the sun, it also needs the sun's energy to stay active.
Pull up the blinds to let the sun into your home. Don't put heavy shades on the windows. You also should have plenty of electricity for the night.
Opt for lights fixtures that are square, rectangular, open, and produce a lot of light. Your home should never be too dim. You're all about embracing the light and making it proud. You want the extra warmth from the lights and electricity.
Add candles in your home. Literal fire will always complement Leo energy. Think candelabras, fireplaces, fire pits. You are the pyro of the zodiac.
You should have a fire extinguisher ready.
Hardness over Gentleness
Opt for objects that are strong, sturdy, and built to last in your home. If you want some flora, opt for succulents and cacti. You need plants that don't require a lot of water. Flowers are also very gentle, so these should be added in places to raise yin energy.
For Leo, opt for solids not liquids. Your furniture should be mostly wood. Metal gets destroyed by fire energy. Wood instead nourishes fire.
You can also add plenty of pottery and clay like objects. Opt for clay over metal. You should conceal coins and jewelry when possible. Fire is about free-will and desire, so it will spend all that money if given the chance.
- Add square like containers in rooms.
- Find square like chairs to sit in that don't cave.
- Move in heavy pieces into your home. Big pieces of furniture. A giant sofa.
- Avoid fabrics or materials that don't cope well with heat. Leather will pinch the skin.
- Avoid fur like elements that are more associated with winter.
- Cotton is a great material for summer personalities.
- A weighted blanket is a great idea -- this can help you sleep when your thoughts are restless. Weighted blankets are often used to help with anxiety symptoms.
- Add chests into rooms to hide blankets and softer materials.
- Add accent pillows sparingly.
- Add weights into rooms. You want to increase the amount of weight in each room. You're not trying to be a feather. You're trying to be a mighty king, a lion, a force to reckon with.
Double up the fire, because it's the hottest time of year! Leo is from July 23 to August 22. Your job is to embrace sunshine as much as possible.
Your home should be about exploration of new ideas and concepts. Summer is about battling humidity, vacations, breaks from school, and getting tan.
Grab the Sunscreen
Your home needs to have all the appropriate things for a sunny day: a cute sundress, sunglasses, a hat to block the sun, swim shorts, and sunscreen. Cancer is about nautical images, but Leo is about showing off your best self on the beach. Think of bright and happy patterns found on swimsuits for a template for your walls.
- Your backyard should have a pool, slip-in-slide, kitty pool or other accessories.
- Grab the grill and cook up some burgers, hot dogs, or sausages.
- Meet outside with your friends for a drum circle.
- Play in the background and try to catch some lightning bugs, or follow them.
- Opt for tropical plants and foods in your home: rubber trees, hibiscus, palm trees, coconut trees, mangoes, papayas, guava, kiwi, starfruit, bananas.
- Think of cities known for their summer vibe: Miami, Los Angeles, Orlando, Mexico City, Melbourne, Barcelona, San Diego, and Amsterdam.
The lion sleeps in the jungle, so be ready to bring out the jungle in your home. Animal patterns are a thing for Leo, especially of big cats and safari animals, but look for vegan products. Leo is a champion of people and animals. This sign isn't into cruelty of any kind.
Jungle = Green
For your jungle space, add stuffed animals, build a treehouse in your backyard, put up pictures of rainforests. Add hanging plants, add more oxygen into your home with some greenery. You can have a mix of flora.
I recommend green plants, succulents, and cacti overall. I think flowers are a tad too gentle for Leo's disposition. Again, wood nourishes fire, so jungle elements that play off wood could work in your favor.
- Go beyond the garden and get a greenhouse.
- Add a nice deck for your yard.
- You love fireworks, so design a good spot in your backyard where you can watch them.
- Tiki torches.
- Outdoor games like volleyball, baseball, and tennis.
Leo is considered the royalty of the Zodiac. It is a more yang-energy sign than most. It directs from the throne as a king. Leo wants to be adored and even worshiped. This king or queen wants people to be moved by them, he wants to be complimented, and she wants her word to be upheld.
Your home isn't meant to be quaint, simple, or cute. It's expected to look lavish, magnificent, and even expensive. Your home is your castle, palace, or mansion. Leo doesn't want the hermit-like nature of a Capricorn cabin nor the charming quaint beach house of Cancer. Leo wants a castle. They want to have many rooms and a great deal of space for their guests and family.
- Purple is a color often seen as belonging to royalty.
- Add jewels and bright colored stones throughout the house.
- Scepter shaped items should be around the house: big sticks, swords, a baseball bat, batons, guns, towers, rolled up yoga mats, tall plants, tall furniture legs, and cat towers.
- You need magnificent chairs in your household. You need a commanding, stylistic chair.
- Your power number is 5. Odd numbers are about spares. Even numbers are about pairs. You should have spare items.
- You need places in your home that focus on individuality.
- Add items found in a castle: gargoyles, angels, sculptures, beautiful gardens, candelabras, chandeliers, luxurious carpets, balconies, stairs, big paintings, and stone pathways outside.
- If you have a family crest, put it on the wall.
- You need a beautiful vista perhaps with a vineyard, a slopping mountain, or a gorgeous meadow.
You are the Lion
Your home should be a shrine to lions. Consider your home the lion's den. Add statues of lions and stuffed animals of the big cat as well. Add pictures and paintings of the feline, as well as images from Africa and jungles. Look to the colors of lions to help build your color palette throughout your house.
- Look for furniture with long legs.
- The lion and its mane are like an image of the sun.
- Cat imagery works as well, especially those with red, orange, or white in their fur.
- Lions are fierce predators, include images of claw marks, sharp lines, swords, and spears on your walls and throughout the house.
- Create your own family crest with a lion.
- Include movies in your DVD collection about lions: The Lion King, African Cats, Madagascar, George of the Jungle, Chronicles of Narnia, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Kimba the White Lion, and The Wizard of Oz.
Royalty Commanding from the Heart
Leos are represented by the heart space. Your home should be a space where you get plenty of cardio workouts and can nourish your heart. Your home is about being alive and embracing it to the fullest. Do not put a lot of dark or grim imagery in your home. Death like imagery doesn't really take place in the Zodiac until Scorpio.
Put on your walls heart shapes. The heart chakra is represented by the colors green and pink. Again, be careful with green in a Leo home as it can get drenched with all the fire energy. Even though Leo is a proud fire sign, it also is empathetic and wants more than anything for the planet to be in harmony and for people to get along.
Your home should be a champion of people. It should be devoid of negativity and insult. Leo isn't meant to be critical -- he's meant to be a king who wisely rules on behalf of the people. Leo is all about leadership, might, strength, and courage. He isn't a vampire or succubus. He isn't a dictator bent out of shape.
Hearts are a great shape for Leos as well: half of heart shapes are triangles. Hearts and stars are also irregular shapes that fit with Leo's power number of 5.
From Tarot cards, you can look at both the House of Cups and the House of Wands for interior design ideas. The cups represent emotions and water, but many of these cards deal with matters of the heart: lovers, friendship, compassion, intuition, grace, wishes, and fulfillment.
The wands represent fire energy and free-will. These cards include things like: hard work, dealing with conflicts, building a home, taking on challenges, accomplishments, winning battles, and marriage.
The Leo Living Room
This should be a grand space with fantastic and ornate furniture. I recommend the walls be in red or orange tones. The fire energy should be alive and noticeable in this room. This is your grand hall, your great meeting place of your castle, and your place to make your guests feel welcome. It's also a place for your family to interact and be championed.
- Include statues of lions in this room.
- Your walls should be full of royal imagery: a family crest, pictures of crowns and scepters, bright jewels and crystals, tapestries, a chandelier, and a gorgeous square rug.
- The living room is alive in warm tones.
- Wood > metal
A fireplace is a shrine for Leo. Keep this place clean and make sure it draws attention. Place appropriate items around it like family portraits, achievements, trophies, and gold-laden items.
Your living room should have multiple reminders of the sun. Combine circles with triangular shapes, use warm tones in this room, and have plenty of natural lighting.
Leo doesn't need a giant mirror in every room. One way to make a room brighter is to add tiny mirrors along the walls to reflect lights. Leo doesn't want to see a rival, and looking in the mirror gives them that impression, so smaller mirrors are likely smarter. Leo wants to feel like an individual.
You could also add images to your walls of heat related landscapes: hot springs, volcanoes, the core of the earth, tropical islands, Hawaii, Polynesian islands, and deserts.
Add electricity into your room. There should be plenty of lighting. Put a nice television front and center. Video games are a plus. Add a radio or even an old vinyl player for a nice classy touch.
A royal chair could be considered the one that gives the most comfort, so don't be afraid to spend some serious money on a massage chair, especially one with heat settings.
The Leo Kitchen
Your kitchen is the pride of the family. You need a spectacular kitchen that can handle the heat. You need as many heat creating devices as possible: the oven, the microwave, a toaster, rice warmer, Instapot, air fryer, and deep fryer. Consider adding little grills for Korean BBQ.
Opt for a rectangular table that's long and can work for a large group. You should have more chairs than necessary, as well as barstools. Your chairs and barstools should be in an odd number.
Your kitchen should have restaurant like qualities. You should have up to date devices. There needs to be plenty of lighting and impressive designs on the walls.
- Add triangles into your design.
- Red, orange, yellow, and white are all appropriate for the kitchen. Do not add blue. The kitchen needs to scream yang energy.
- Look for wood elements: table, spoons, pots, bowls, and containers.
- Knives should be magnetized to the walls.
- Conceal rounded objects, bring out pointed objects.
- Avoid glass features. Glass is similar to ice, a water feature.
- Be careful not to have too many metal elements. Fire melts metal -- if you need to balance this then add more earth elements. Use the color yellow and add pottery and clay figurines.
- Heart shapes can bring some positive energy into the room.
- Consider adding art of bell peppers, spices, and hot drinks.
Leo's pantry is on the wild side. You could have a lot of fun building a grocery list for a Leo personality. The following items should be commonplace in your home:
- Red fruits: strawberries, watermelon, apples, cherries, raspberries, pomegranates, persimmon, tomatoes, cranberries, blood oranges, and plums.
- Orange fruits: oranges, mangoes, grapefruit, cantaloupe, pumpkins, and apricots.
- Yellow fruits: pineapple, lemons, bananas, nectarines, and peaches.
- White fruits: pears, coconuts.
- Red vegetables: bell peppers, radishes, cabbage.
- Orange vegetables: carrots, sweet potatoes, squash.
- Yellow vegetables: corn, potatoes, beans.
- White vegetables: onions, garlic, cauliflowers, mushrooms.
- Hot spices: cayenne pepper, chili powder, ginger, black pepper, paprika, wasabi.
- Sweet and savory spices: cinnamon, cardamon, turmeric, sumac, allspice.
- Meats: burger patties, hot dogs, sausages, chicken, steak, beef, lamb.
- Alcohol, especially strong kinds that are hot like sake
- Tea, caffeinated
- Seafood: especially crabs and lobster
- Baked goods, especially bread
- Soups, opt for spicy and sour ones
- Chili ingredients
The Leo Bedroom
The Leo bedroom is about passion, integrity, and strength. The bedroom should include bookshelves with some of your favorite books, passed down stories, and photographs.
I think paint works really well throughout a Leo house. There is so much activity in each room that they don't really need wallpaper to help them attract even more energy. I think the Leo bedroom works well in red, orange, yellow, or pink. If you want more fire opt for red and orange, but if that seems like too much and you may never get any sleep, then dial it down.
The Leo room should have several tiny mirrors along the walls to reflect natural light. The windows should be open throughout the day and without concealment.
The furniture should be wood and it should all be fairly tall. Your mattress shouldn't rest directly on the floor. The furniture should look ornate. The headboard of your bed should look like a throne chair. If you want to use metal, use something that is gold or a yellow color. You could spray paint metal to look yellow, gold, or bronze.
Have an ornate square rug with fringe to represent the lion's mane. Sharp geometric shapes should be throughout the room. This room should look royal and precise.
- Don't use circular furniture or items with lots of curves.
- Limit the amount of pillows on your bed.
- Have a chest where you store blankets and pillows or hidden treasures.
Jewelry should be stored in lovely wooden designs. Put golden or yellow jewelry on display. Gold coins are also attractive in a Leo room. These precious metals should be next to earth elements and neutral colors. Leo does love showing off his or her wealth.
Add ferns, succulents, and cacti in square shaped pots. Don't use glass or see-through material where you can see water.
Add lion related items throughout the room. Lion stuffed animals would look lovely.
The Leo Bathroom
I would suggest for the Leo bathroom to dial down the red and orange. I would opt instead for pink or yellow. The bathroom needs more yin energy; it is a more water oriented place.
Make sure your bathroom is setup to where it can handle steam and won't get mold from this. The bathroom should have warm and soothing elements. Work with elements of a young sun -- from sunrise to noon.
Also, add heart sharped items or stars. You want the bathroom to feel like a place where you can be rejuvenated and pampered. You don't want it to be so relaxing that it makes you feel drowsy.
- With more metal elements likely in the bathroom, you'll want to avoid having too fierce of fire energy in the room.
- Look for earthy tones and pottery to add.
- Add some plants. Think tropical.
- You could make this a sanctuary in your home to more jungle-like features.
White is another color that can work in your favor in the bathroom. Avoid blues and blacks. Add colorful and vibrant images to the walls. This is one space where flowers are appropriate. If you need more yin energy consider adding a vase of flowers with marbles in it.
Towels should all be in bright and happy colors. If you have a bathtub, you could do the tiling around it in rainbow colors. The flooring would be better in wood than tile. Tile gets really cold, which is irritating when you have natural fire energy.
The bathroom should be like a secret garden, a piece of heaven, or a nice little paradise. It's a place that promises creativity and free-will. It's a place that promises you to be bold and true to yourself.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.