Andrea is a freelance writer who has worked with HubPages for 8+ years. If you're interested in working with her, contact her now.
Interior Design Based off the Pig
The Pig is the 12th and final sign of the Chinese Zodiac. The Zodiac includes 12 animals, each representing a different year. The Year of the Pig occurs every 12 years.
The cycle also goes through five different elements: water, wood, fire, earth, and metal. So we'll have the Year of the Water Pig, the Year of the Wood Pig, and so on. It takes 60 years to go through the whole cycle.
Interior design based off the Pig will have:
- A high preference for water features.
- A high preference for yin features.
- Images related to winter.
- A mix of wood and metal features.
- Rounded shapes, dim lighting, and gentle features.
- Lots of yellow and lilies.
The following are considered Pig Years: 1911, 1923, 1935, 1947, 1959, 1971, 1983, 1995, 2007, 2019, 2031, 2043, 2055, 2067, 2079, 2091, 2103.
Yin Energy and Water
The Pig has a distinct preference for water and yin energy. The Pig house, room, or space will be noticeably designed around those elements.
- The Pig is a yin animal sign.
- Winter is considered a yin season
- Water is also considered a yin element.
I would start the house off with yin elements, and then if the house's energy or flow feels off add more yang.
How do you know if you have too much yin or too much yang? Consider how you feel in different rooms. You may find you come down with more malaise in some parts of your house than others.
- Too much yin: prone to sadness or depression, crying randomly, excessive snot, constant urination, greasy hair and skin, extra water weight, trouble getting out of bed, trouble remembering things, trouble forming sentences, constantly feeling cold, clammy feet or hands, sedentary, lethargy, procrastination, numb, slow to move, diabetes, anemic, lost in sorrow, muscles softening, rather be asleep.
- Too much yang: prone to anger, road rage, aggression, easily annoyed, irritable, easily frustrated, constantly feeling hot, headaches, migraines, dry skin or hair, can't sit still, restless leg syndrome, restless thoughts, insomnia, high resting heart rate, high blood pressure, rapidly losing weight, red flush, rashes, hives, abdominal cramps, constipation, anxiety, tantrums, yelling, impulsive, hasty.
If you are dealing with serious issues you should see a doctor. Considering your house's layout could alleviate some issues, but it cannot be expected to resolve all problems. A doctor can help you build a successful treatment plan.
Yin and Yang
Circles, Ovals, Spheres
Triangles, Stars, Squares, Rectangles, Prisms, Diamonds
Wide / Short / Round
Long / Tall / Slim
Lines, Sharp, Corners
Black and Blue
Red, Yellow, White
Moon, Asteroids, Comets
Sun, Stars, Galaxies
Water / Earth
Fire / Air
Winter and Fall
Summer and Spring
Dark / Dim
Light / Bright
Gentle, Soft, Smooth
Rough, Hard, Jagged
Ox, Rabbit, Snake, Goat, Rooster, Pig
Rat, Tiger, Dragon, Horse, Monkey, Dog
Taurus, Cancer, Virgo, Scorpio, Capricorn, Pisces
Aries, Gemini, Leo, Libra, Sagittarius, Aquarius
The Jade Emperor
I have heard different legends about how the Pig gained its spot in the Chinese Zodiac.
There is one legend that the Rat didn't wake up the Cat in time for the big race held by the Jade Emperor. When the cat couldn't be found, the Pig was added to the race.
There is also the legend that just as the race was about to be called, an oink and squeal was heard from a pig. During the race, the Pig got hungry and stopped for a feast. The Pig then fell asleep for a large portion of the day.
There are also legends that the Pig was a terrible swimmer and couldn't get past the river as fast as the other animals. The Pig may have also gone down the river and went up the wrong side of it.
And still yet: a wolf destroyed his home, so he had to rebuild it before he could get to the race.
No matter what version: the Pig always comes in last, but he is a ranked animal.
The Pig is associated with good fortunes and happiness. They are represented by the hours 9:00pm to 11:00pm, so they thrive off sleep and the night.
Pigs are realistic. They set out to accomplish their tasks. They're enthusiastic, energetic, and power seekers. They're not the best with money, and they can be gullible. They really like to be social.
Famous People Born in the Year of the Pig
Weird Al, Julian Assange, Ronald Reagan, Lucille Ball, Tupac Shakur, Amy Winehouse, Chris Hemsworth, Elon Musk, Elton John, Mariah Carey, Farrah Fawcett, Alice Cooper, Hillary Clinton, Ginger Rogers, Idina Menzel, Carrie Underwood.
Pig Interior Design
A Pig home is about relaxation, partying, socializing, and power. The Pig is a bit of an eclectic mess. They want water features and yin energy flowing everywhere.
Color Theory: the Pig has an affinity for yellow, gray and brown. These are their lucky colors.
- Yellow: this color is more a mix of yin and yang. It's often associated with earth. Yellow is a great socializing color. Round yellow rugs help bring a room together. Yellow can look like fall leaves, the sun, happiness, and slowness.
- Brown: this color will be a great base to work with throughout the house. It's easy to find paint colors in dark browns to light browns. It's also the predominate color for wood furniture. Water nourishes wood. Water is supported by metal. When trying to put wood and metal features in the same room, use lots of water elements to blend them like glass and mirrors.
- Gray: this is an excellent neutral blending color. It is more associated with yin. It could also act as a silver color. Gray is preferred over black and white.
The Pig's unlucky colors are red and blue. Use these colors sparingly.
- Red: the Pig can't handle red in their house very well. The Pig is based in so much water and winter elements, that they have a tendency to destroy red and other fire related elements. It's best to avoid red.
- Blue: this color is a surprising unlucky color for the Pig. Blue is often associated with water and yin. The Pig for some reason doesn't want to be defined by it.
Shapes: when possible, select shapes that are oval or circular. The Pig prefers roundness. Think of how plump Pigs get. They can also make do with heart shapes and other blended rounded shapes, like cones. The Pig likes squares or rectangles that have rounded edges. Triangles and stars should be avoided. Triangles and stars are associated with fire, so they'll get destroyed by the Pig. (Also, use dots over stripes.)
Flooring: I recommend when possible to use wood flooring. The Pig's water element gets destroyed by earth elements. This means you want to avoid having tile and carpet in your home. If you can find a metallic type of flooring that could also work in the Pig home.
Winter imagery: keep in mind the Pig likes winter. Their home should smell like the scents of winter: cedar, pine, figs, cinnamon, and the like. They like gray skies. Snow covered lanes. Trees without leaves. They're big on pine cones, winter foods, and hot drinks.
- Add strings of lights into your home. Think Christmas lights. This is also good dim lighting, which the Pig prefers.
- Add heart shaped items, which are associated with Valentine's Day.
- Snow globes represent the right season and element for the Pig.
- Bells. Pigs like to hear jingle bells.
- Air purifiers, air humidifiers, and mist machines. They all can represent the sounds of the winter wind.
- Silver decorations. Silver is often associated with winter.
- Images of the Aurora borealis and the moon.
The Pig likes shiny things: there should be a wide range of metals in your home. The Pig likes to show-off coins and jewelry. The Pig wants people to think it has power, so they're okay with showing off their property. Remember: yellow = gold and gray = silver.
You can definitely go wild with metallic elements. The Pig is a symbol of hubris, sleeping when they want to do so and eating when they want to do so. The Pig takes great pride as the 12th sign. It sees itself as the finisher. The great ending. The one you praise.
Water elements: the Pig is big on water! Water elements are creative, complex, and beautiful. Glass and mirrors are associated with water because they reflect. Anything that reflects is related to water.
- You could also add fish bowls or large aquariums into your house.
- Items that put off steam or mist.
- Water beds or other water furniture.
- Aquatic imagery: fishes, jellyfish, crabs, dolphins, sharks, whales.
Add pig figurines: the Pig would love for their to be art of himself. The Pig wants to be celebrated! Add images to your walls of Pigs, buy little Pig figurines, and make your own sculptures of Pigs.
It's always a good idea to add Pig related media to your book, movie, and game collections. Here is a list of popular Pig related items:
- Charlotte's Web
- Animal Farm
- Porco Rosso
- Old Glory
- Porky the Pig
- Peppa Pig
- Toot & Puddle
- Green Acres
Water nourishes wood by helping flora to grow.
Water destroys fire by dowsing flames.
Wood nourishes fire by helping flames to grow.
Wood destroys earth by popping out of it and disheveling the earth.
Fire nourishes earth by creating ashes. The ashes spread and help form land.
Fire destroys metal by melting it.
Earth nourishes metal by creating minerals in the soil.
Earth destroys water by drying it.
Metal nourishes water through condensation.
Metal destroys wood by chopping into it.
The Pig Living Room
I would use the color yellow for the Pig's living room. Paint the walls yellow, have nice wooden floors, and keep things round. The living room should be a bright and cheery place.
Your furniture should be brown, gray, gold, or silver. The Pig doesn't mind a mix of wood and metal. They are however apprehensive when it comes to earthenware. If you add earth like objects, put them around metal.
Add a large aquarium with bright colored fish. There should be mirrors on the walls, especially rounded mirrors. Glass counter tops will look nice on tables.
If you add a rug in this room, it should be circular and one of the Pig's lucky colors. Add images onto your walls of winter flora. Lilies should be in vases and on tables.
You could have metal bowls with screws, nobs, gears, or other metallic objects. You could also have wooden bowls with sticks, potpourri, and pine cones.
The Pig wants all their furniture to be super comfortable. They want to get stuck on their sofa for hours. They want their guests to be trapped by comfort. Buy a fancy massage chair. Buy items with smooth designs. The Pig does have an affinity for solid colors.
Hang heart shapes from the ceiling. You want some heart images throughout the room. The heart makes the Pig happy and reminds them of emotions and feel good things.
The lighting should be dim or moderate. You could use Christmas lights in this room or thin string lights to help give off some glow. The Pig doesn't like for things to be too bright, they're also prone to destroying fire elements.
The Pig likes to separate itself from technology from time to time. They don't want their electronic pieces up in people's faces. They want their wealth and jewelry up front. They want their hubris up front.
The Pig Kitchen
The Pig kitchen is a cove of wood and metal. A country style kitchen would serve the farm animal Pig well. I would make this room predominately brown.
Put on display your wood and metal pieces, and protect the wood with water elements. Display your wooden bowls and wooden utensils. Magnetize your knives to the walls. The fridge should be covered in magnets.
I would 100% select wood for the flooring. Buy a nice circular wooden table. Have enough seats that are in the Pig's lucky numbers: 2, 5, 6, or 8. Also, put a vase of lilies on the table.
This is an excellent room for antique glass. The Pig would like antique glass in yellow or brown. You could also do other colors like purple, green, or pink. But do avoid red and blue.
Add plants in corners. You may want to consider a floral design for your walls. Winter tundra wallpaper might make for an interesting feel. The Pig might also like wallpaper that's associated with farms.
The Pig could have some rustic decorations in this room: shovels, pitchforks, a wheelbarrow. The Pig should have a tool room or tool shed, but they could also have some of these pieces in the kitchen.
The Pig should have a well stocked kitchen. They like fake fruit just because it reminds them of their hubris and because fake fruit is eternal. The Pig really wants to be an immortal.
Eggs are also the right design for the kitchen. Eggs are the right shape and colors. The Pig also likes expensive looking Russian eggs. The Pig wants people to think it's great with money and lavish even if the Pig isn't. (It might be somewhat confusing mixing the luxurious metal style and farm style decor.)
Earthly Branches of the Year
Yin and Yang
Closest Western Zodiac
2, 5, 6, 8 (Avoid 3, 4, 9)
Yellow, Gray, Brown (Avoid Red and Blue)
Hour of the Day
21:00 to 23:00
The Pig Bedroom
I would opt for a gray or silver themed bedroom. The Pig's bedroom should be calm and soothing. They should have reminders of night time: images of the moon, asteroids, and comets. Opt for a pale white circular rug to bring the room together.
The mattress should be very gentle. You could even go with a water bed. The Pig doesn't like too firm of a mattress. The pillows should also be super gentle, like resting your head on a cloud. The Pig will also have an abundance of pillows.
Add mirrors everywhere, especially rounded ones. Coins and jewelry should be on display. Your most valuable items should be locked up in a safe.
Add a glass bowl with rounded metals. This could be metallic colored marbles. The more circular items you have in this room, the better. You could even have a round bed.
The lighting should be dim. You should have blackout curtains on the windows. Your bedroom is full of black and white photography. Black and white photography is more associated with yin. Colored photography is associated with yang.
The Pig's bedroom should be monochromatic. It should be a lot of white, black, and gray with maybe hints of yellow or brown.
Again, the flooring should be wood. The whole house should really use wood flooring. The walls should be painted a solid color or have a very tasteful wallpaper choice.
Add white or black lilies in a vase. The Pig likes to smell flowers and floral scents. You could also add images of winter to the walls, snowy plains, tall mountains, the arctic circle.
The Pig is a heavy sleeper and likes to sleep as much as possible, so this is one of the few animal signs where I would recommend using black on your bed. Black can make things feel entrapped to sleep, and the Pig is okay with that.
The Pig Bathroom
The bathroom naturally lends itself to the properties the Pig likes. Sinks, toilets, showers, and bathtubs. Mirrors everywhere. Plumbing and faucet fixtures. All of this appeals to the Pig's heart.
I would recommend if you haven't used yellow, brown, or gray in a room yet to use that color in the bathroom. Yellow will have a more sunny disposition. Brown is honest. Gray will keep you in the bathroom for hours.
Add antique glass into the room. Also, consider how you can add wood elements. The Pig wouldn't mind some bamboo in their house.
The bathtub or shower should be spacious. The Pig wants to get in there and move and shake its limbs and do whatever. They don't want to be constrained to a cramped space.
- The Pig would appreciate it if you bought animal cruelty free hygiene products.
- Buy towels and wash clothes all in the same colors. Towels should blend into the environment. The Pig doesn't really like towels.
- Add bowls based around wood or metal.
- Avoid fire elements altogether: no candles, no triangles, no stars, no red accents.
- The walls should have images of water: oceans, rivers, sluices, lakes, rivers, cups of water, rainfall, and snow.
- The Pig would like big glass shower doors over a shower curtain.
- Add hints of gold and silver.
- Electronic devices should be stored away in containers. Don't leave hair dryers and the like on counters.
- Do not leave makeup on counters either. Makeup is earth based and absorbent.
- Add a fountain if you have room.
- Add hearts or dots to the walls.
- Agate is the Pig's lucky mineral, so you could add this.
- Keep the air circulating and pure with fans or air purifiers, humidifiers, or mist machines.
- The Pig welcomes steam in the bathroom. If things are going to be fire related, the Pig prefers that it be steam.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2021 Andrea Lawrence