Andrea helps people design their homes and gardens. She likes to use Western Astrology and the Chinese Zodiac to help build templates.
A Bedroom Focused Around Fire and Earth
I received an email recently asking what would an Aries and Virgo bedroom look like. I thought that was an intriguing question, so I started thinking about how I would design a room for those two signs.
Combining Aries and Virgo aesthetics for a bedroom will be balanced. It will more evenly have yin and yang qualities than if the two people were on their own.
The room is going to lean a little more to yang because Aries is a dominant fire sign, but you don't want your room to be so exciting that you have trouble relaxing or sleeping. Aries will add a touch of fire to keep the room just spicy enough to maintain its allure. Virgo will keep things steady; Virgo is the base preset of the room.
Quick Glance at Aries and Virgo
March 21 to April 19
August 23 to September 22
Beginning of Spring
End of Summer
Yin or Yang
Chinese Zodiac Counterpart
Personality in Six Words
Ambitious, confrontational, aggressive, passionate, instinctive, impulsive
Cerebral, logical, composed, perfectionist, tidy, practical
Blending Different Energies
When trying to blend a room shared by two different people, with completely different energy levels, you'll want to focus on balance. Certain aspects will need to be compromised to make the combo work.
Yin and yang tend to be the endpoints on a spectrum. To make a room for Aries and Virgo, you'll want to move closer to the middle of design spectrums. You want to combine the best of both worlds. Aries will need to let go of some of their wildness, and Virgo will need to let go of some of their impartiality.
I have a couple of methods on how you can meet in the middle. One: blend materials like metal and wood. Two: add pops of color, not floods of color. Three: think of shapes that combine yin and yang.
You'll want to incorporate shapes that are not entirely round nor pointed but something in between; for instance, hearts are a combination of curves and triangles. The more sides you add to polygons, the more rounded they become. Hexagons work really well if you want a balanced feel in your room.
Fire and earth do play off each other really well. They're compatible in a feng shui sense because fire nourishes earth. Earth is also the most balanced element in feng shui; it acts as a buffer between elements, so it's more of a hybrid of yin and yang. This is also why Virgo works well as the base of this design template.
Fire is distinctly yang, so your room should have features that pop. Fire is bold, not muted. Fire fosters individuality whereas earth fosters community.
The weirdest element of all to incorporate in a space for Aries and Virgo is water. Water destroys fire, and earth destroys water. Adding a lot of features associated with water will definitely negate a feel for Aries and Virgo.
Here is a quick look at the five elements in feng shui, and how they work in this room:
- Fire is all about accents. Use pops of red, yellow, and white. Have up-to-date technologies and very selective creative pieces on your walls. You don't want to overwhelm your space with too much creativity because it'll overpower what you want for Virgo. Think of fire as accents that help support earth not detract from it.
- Earth is your baseline. You want to stick to neutral colors and earthy textures like brick, marble, clay, and terracotta. You want earthy colors with just a hint of heat, like cinnabar and ochre. Padded furniture and blankets are a plus.
- Metal will be a problem child for fire. Wood will be a problem child for earth. I would encourage blending metals and woods. Hybrid materials will be helpful for this room to keep it balanced and sane.
- Water should be avoided. It doesn't make sense here. Don't go crazy with mirrors, don't install fountains or fish tanks, and don't even think about buying a waterbed.
Read More From Dengarden
Yin and Yang
Black and Blue
Red, White, Yellow
Triangles, Squares, Rectangles, Diamonds
Time of Day
Winter and Fall
Summer and Spring
Black and White
Gold, Copper, Bronze
Sedentary, Relaxed, Calm
Active, Hyper, Alert
Dragon, Horse, Monkey, Dog, Rat, Tiger
Snake, Sheep, Rooster, Pig, Ox, Rabbit
Aries, Gemini, Leo, Libra, Sagittarius, Aquarius
Taurus, Cancer, Virgo, Scorpio, Capricorn, Pisces
Fire nourishes earth by creating ashes which turn into land
Fire destroys metal by melting it
Earth nourishes metal by creating minerals in the soil
Earth destroys water by drying it
Metal nourishes water through condensation
Metal destroys wood by chopping into it
Water nourishes wood by helping flora to grow
Water destroys fire by putting out flames
Wood nourishes fire by giving it a path to grow
Wood destroys earth by popping out of it and disheveling the land
The first thing that popped into my mind when considering designing a bedroom for an Aries and Virgo couple was the color scheme. Virgo is known for having really subtle colors and keeping things minimalistic. Virgo does well with white, gray, beige, brown, and earthy tones. Virgo tends to rely on muted earth tones, but with Aries in the mix, the colors need a touch more saturation.
Aries is strongly associated with red. Aries is represented by Mars, the warring planet. Aries needs fire and creativity in their space because they're ambitious; they want to set the world on fire. It's not really an Aries bedroom without red.
I would suggest having a red accent wall, especially in a deep red hue and not pink. As for other warm tones, I would cautiously consider them. Orange is too bold and unusual for Virgo. Pink comes off young and emotional, whereas Virgo is more in their head and rational. Yellow and gold are safe; it's a communal color and associated with earth. Yellow is a good compromise color.
An Aries and Virgo Room Showcases Maturity
The colors in this room should be sophisticated. I picture a room that's for two distinguished adults who have their lives in good order. Gray, beige, and white all work really well with a red accent wall. Red also looks great with a neutral color carpet.
I don't want to see a myriad of colors in an Aries and Virgo bedroom. It should follow a fairly precise color scheme of neutrals with one strong red. That red should be on the darker to medium side, not bright or light-colored.
White is a great color for both Aries and Virgo. When in doubt, I would add new things in white.
My ideal color scheme for this room would use about five colors (at most). Here is what I would suggest;
- Add a solid white comforter to the bed. Avoid patterns like a hawk. Patterns will quickly clutter up the room.
- Have a dark red accent wall, tasteful wallpaper, or a mural on one wall. The red should come off refined and mature, not vibrant like a superhero blasting off into space.
- Install gray or beige carpet. It needs to be neutral/bland.
- White doors and trim. However, I wouldn't put a white door on the red wall. It's going to pop really noticeably, and it might be too much. You could tone this down by adding black furniture near your red wall.
- A very light gray or beige on the other walls or white.
- Several white pillows on the bed with a couple of red accent pillows.
- Gold furnishings. There should be little hints of color that keep the room lively but not overwhelming. Silver is more associated with water.
- Neutral-colored furniture does look good in a white or red room. You don't want a piece of furniture that stands out.
- If you don't want a red accent wall, a red headboard or artwork behind your bed could do the trick.
- Black is an excellent color if your room is starting to pull too much toward yang.
- Blue makes no sense.
Clean and Sophisticated
A bedroom for this couple should be organized, clean, and mature. There shouldn't be a lot of knick-knacks and randomness. Everything should look intentional. Each item should have a designated place. The room should be efficient, not convoluted.
It should be modern and sensible. I would place a chessboard in a corner or another toned-down board game with monochromatic pieces. Both Aries and Virgo are known for their minds. The bedroom should showcase that they're both smart, so I encourage having books, globes, and even an abacus.
Pottery items that are monochromatic or items that relate to logic fit well in this room. Avoid logic games that are too showy and eye-catching. You want pieces that are clean-cut, smooth, and simple.
You want to think of creative ways to blend yin and yang. Here are a couple of suggestions:
- Add hexagonal or heart-shaped items.
- Put a rectangular mirror in a corner. Mirrors are associated with yin and rectangles are associated with yang.
- Buy pieces that blend metal and wood together.
- Add black and white photographs to your walls. Buy black and white photos that have an accent color, like a red dress or a yellow flower.
- A mattress that's both firm and soft.
Keep pathways clear of clutter. You want your room to have minimal distractions; it should be cohesive. Add creative touches carefully, like a golden chandelier over the bed or an unassuming floral rug.
Fire Feng Shui
To add more fire into a room, add triangular shapes. Triangles mimic the shape of flames. Avoid circles.
Electricity is associated with fire. Technology will help your room look more contemporary. Install new light fixtures. A massage chair is a major plus: it combines the needs of both Aries and Virgo—tech and comfort.
Sunlight is a bonus. Ideally, you'll have a room with large windows. Open your curtains to get some natural light. I would opt for square or rectangular window frames. If you have the money, you could add a skylight.
Add pictures to your walls of dragons, volcanoes, stars, and fireplaces. I encourage picking images that look refined and not cartoonish.
Nothing says fire like literal fire. Candles are one of the best items for this room. You want your room to smell clean and fresh. Candles should be in neutral colors.
Earth Feng Shui
To add more earth into a room, look for objects that are sturdy and stable. You want pieces that have a purpose and are humble. Add items in earth tones: brown, forest green, coral pink, cadmium yellow, alizarin crimson, titanium white, and black.
Pottery is a quick way to bring in more earth. Himalayan salt lamps definitely fit the Virgo aesthetic. You could also add a bowl of rocks or crystals, a jar of sand, or an urn of ashes.
Add images to your walls of zen gardens, terracotta soldiers, deserts, and rustic settings. Black and white photography would look really pretty in this room.
Elegant Touches of Spring and Summer
Aries starts spring, and Virgo ends summer. Your room should be a haven to the sun. Both signs take place when there is a moderate amount of daylight. The room should get plenty of lighting; it shouldn't be dim.
Add a vase of red flowers to your bedside. I like the idea of little red flowers because Aries is when spring is just getting started. For Virgo, add decorations of apples and grapes. Virgo is associated with the harvest season.
During the winter months, your bedroom would look nice with some holly and ivy or juniper berries. Picnic baskets or wicker baskets also make for good decorations. Wicker baskets make for great storage devices.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2022 Andrea Lawrence