How to Use Feng Shui to Decorate Small Apartment
The biggest challenge when living in a small apartment is to turn it into a living area that is appealing, comfortable as well as functional. You can take several approaches when planning for this change.
Using Feng Shui is one approach.
Feng Shui is an ancient Chinese practice to create positive energy in your home as well as in your environment. It will correct negative energies and hence create energies that are more positive. This will improve, among other things, your wealth, health and relationships.
However, to get an accurate assessment of what needs to be done to achieve the optimum Feng Shui for you; you need to consult a Feng Shui master. He will then study your date of birth and other characteristics before offering the solutions to your problem.
This can be expensive and there is the likelihood that you may not have access to this master.
I have therefore compile list of 'cures' that you can use to transform the energies in your small apartment to your advantage. It covers most aspects of 'cures' that can be applied and used by most people.
It does not cost much and will add real and desired changes without major remodeling. This is done by applying several natural chi, which are light, color and scents.
Feng Shui and Good Vibes in Small Apartment
You want to create an environment with good vibration. A home with positive energies that your visitors can feel, the moment they walk into your home.
An environment that is free of clutter and the scents are pleasant. Where the colors and lighting will give that harmonious “feel” to the place.
Your living area is the best place to achieve this as it set the tone of your daily living. Go for design simplicity and let your emotions have its way. Let your small apartment be a warmly personal space.
Simplicity and Minimalism to Achieve Harmony
In Feng Shui, simplicity and minimalism will encourage harmony and contentment.
When you decorate the apartment with too many pieces of furniture and decorative items, it can create clutter.
Clutter in Feng Shui is energy that is stagnant and confusing. It will continuously drain energy from you. Declutter your home and you will experience simplicity.
In small apartment, space is limited. So be very thorough and rigorous in selecting what furniture and decorative items that you want.
Go for design simplicity.
Feng Shui and Color
Color is one of the most effective tools in architecture and interior design. It can transform a space to look bigger, define volumes and can even transmit light and add warmth to dark corners.
In Feng Shui, color is used to cure the energy and change the mood for success.
White in Feng Shui
In small apartment, white color will visually expand your living space. White also belongs to the Metal element. This is excellent to ward off negative energy. It also helps to disperse illness and bad fortune.
White is also a great color to emphasize the shape of the furniture. So leave your walls white.
One Decorative Wall in a Dominant Color
However, if you want to avoid a dull all white look, you can apply a dominant color to one decorative wall. (See above photo illustrating this example). This application of accent color for small apartment, will add depth to your interior space. This can also be the focal point for your apartment.
To choose a suitable color for your decorative wall, check out this Feng Shui Bagua Color Chart or check out the video on ' Feng Shui Living Room Color' below.
However, if you do not like the recommended color, choose one that you are comfortable and happy with. The color chart serves only as a guide. If your instinct tells you that it is not your color, then that color is not Feng Shui for you. Feng Shui is about emotion and a good Feng Shui space is a happy space. Hence, you have to be happy with the results.
Use the Power of Scents and Smell in Feng Shui
When space is small, use scents to lift the spirits and bring a relaxed level of comfort that can be soothing.
In Feng Shui, scents are subtle energies that can 'cure' and create this good energy to give a favorable response.
Although it is a good practice to develop a familiar scent, you can use different scents for different purposes. For example, you can use chamomile or lavender essential oils in an oil burner when kids are too active. The smells will help to calm them down.
Experiment with different scents and choose those that you like.
Lemongrass, ginger or cinnamon oils are some examples of 'eastern scents' that you may want to try.
Feng Shui Your Master Bedroom
In Feng Shui, bedroom and especially the master bedroom, is one of the three most important parts of your home. It affects your personal energy relating to emotional and mental capacity, your wealth, creativity and fertility.
Follow these basic Feng Shui principles and it will help bring balance to the room. It can also create that quite place or sanctuary, should you need it.
- Position your bed in such a way that it is not in line with the main door. Ensure there is sufficient space of at least 12 inches on each side of the bed to allow for easy access
- Your bed headboard must be solid and fixed firmly to the bed. Avoid buying slatted headboard or those fancy designs with cutouts, etc. A solid headboard symbolizes stability in your marriage or relationship
Do You Believe Feng Shui Can Improve Your Life?
- Avoid placing the bed under a ceiling beam
- Get a reasonably sized bed that will fit both of you comfortably. If both are big size, you may have to buy king-sized bed
- Bedroom is strictly for sleeping and rest. Hence, do not place television, children's toy area or study area in master bedroom
- If photographs are part of your room decorative items, then limit it to only photos of the couple that sleeps there
- Create a balance room with two of everything that you intend to have. Examples are two armchairs and two bedside lamps
- Room color scheme should be subdued and not too bold or dark
Importance of Lights in Feng Shui
One cannot doubt the importance of light, especially natural lights. It is used in light therapy to treat depression and other seasonal affective disorder.
In Feng Shui, light is energy and has great influence on the quality of your home energy. This will then influence your well-being and health.
Hence, ensure all rooms to have at least one window for natural light and ventilation. Hearing morning birds sing can lift your spirits and even if the view from the room is not that great, the important thing is, you have access to direct sunlight.
For bedroom, position your bed to get the most from morning daylight. Natural light is the most auspicious kind of wake-up call.
Main entrance is another important space, which should receive proper ventilation and light. Make sure it is airy and well lighted.
Kitchen Feng Shui
Kitchen is another important part of the home as it is a symbol of wealth. Creating positive energy will also create a harmonious place to prepare meals.
White or yellow is a good color for kitchen. Keep the kitchen clean, bright and well ventilated. Do not clutter the kitchen area with gadgets.
For small kitchen, finding storage space can be challenging and in Feng Shui, you can have a combination of closed and open shelve. This will allow better flow of energy. However, keep the open shelve clutter free.
For small kitchen, it is good to add some fresh energy by planting aromatic herbs or flowering potted plant in the kitchen area.
Feng Shui a Small Bathroom
In Feng Shui, bathroom is a space that has the potential to sap energy from other rooms. In addition, it tends to be cluttered.
Follow these simple tips to eliminate the negative effects of bathroom:
- White is a good Feng Shui color for bathroom and it will also make it look bigger
- Always keep the toilet cover closed, after using
- Bring natural chi to your bathroom from natural light and good ventilation. If you do not have a window, then ensure the space is well lighted with artificial lights and fan extractors for ventilation
- Have a potted plant to bring in good chi and cleanse the space of bad chi or energy
- De-clutter your bathroom by having good storage space or keep items organized in baskets
- Avoid heavy rugs, wet towels or bathrobes hanging in the bathroom, as it tends to trap bad chi. Keep towels and bathrobes in the storage cabinet or outside the bathroom. If you need heavy rugs for the bathroom, clean it regularly
- Fix any leaking pipes or faucets as this tends to create bad chi
- Always keep the bathroom clean and use scented candles or essential oil burners for fresh scents
Using Feng Shui on Small Apartment
When you apply the above tips, based on basic Feng Shui principles; it will bring you material and mental comfort. These minor changes and additions to your small apartment spaces will bring about major changes.
Changes that will translate to a harmonious life. Give it a try.
If you like this article on Feng Shui, then check out my article on Simple Feng Shui Tips for Home Interior Designs for simple changes that you can apply when redecorating your home.
Feng Shui Living Room Colors
© 2013 Mazlan