How to Use Acrylic Water in Your Silk Flower Arrangements
Professional Results are Easy
When working with acrylic, resin or polyurethane water it's is not that hard to get professional results if you take your time and do it right. I'll show you the steps to take to get it right the first time and make your silk flower arrangements look like they were freshly cut then placed carefully into your vase of clear, clean water. Make sure you watch the video at the end to see exactly how easy this is and how to save some money on your next project.
For Best Results Follow These Instructions
1) Have florals that you want to arrange selected and ready. You'll have enough time before the acrylic starts to set up before you insert the flowers.
2) The best containers for mixing are tall and narrow, not too large and open although most acrylic waters sold in craft store come with a shallow square mixing container.
3) Pour equal amounts of each bottle down the sides of the mixing container to avoid excess air bubble formation. Allow the poured material to drain into the mixing container. "B" will drain slower than "A". NEVER use unequal amounts; this results in bubbles and / or a slower setting time.
4) Stir the material for 3-5 minutes, scraping the the side of the mixing container while stirring. STIRRING TOO RAPIDLY CREATES BUBBLES...any small bubbles formed will escape during the curing cycle.
5) QuickWater is permanent. You will not be able to use your floral vase for any other purpose onece QuickWater has cured.
6) Make sure your floral vase is clean on the inside before mixing. Add rocks or marbles before pouring mixed compound from your mixing container. Pour your mixed compound into vase. Add your flowers. Cure time depends on the amount of material you mixed and the air temperature. Cure time should be approximately 8 hours.
Tip: When pouring into a tall narrow vase you can hold a wooden dowel in the center of the vase then pour the acrylic water onto the dowel. It will then run down the dowel to the bottom of the vase without touching the sides or creating a lot of bubbles as if you were pouring it directly in.
Polyurethane Water is Best
A product called Quick Water is mixed the exact same way as you typical acrylic water and takes about the same time to cure however it is guaranteed not to turn yellow. This is specially important if you're using an expensive glass vase to put your silk flower stems in. You can purchase this at some craft stores and is abundant online from a company out of southern California.
Try Craft Water for Expensive Vases
Many people have very expensive vases or would like to change out the floral arrangements. This is simply not possible with your acrylic and polyurethane waters as they will adhere to the glass vase and is permanent.
Craft water is different, It's a gel and can be removed and re-used over and over again. I will write another article on how to use this type of water because it is a little more involved than just mixing 50/50. Once it's in it is just a matter of putting your vase in some hot water to thin the gel then it comes right out or you can change out the flowers to match your decor.
Don't Be Afraid to Try
Don't be afraid of this type of artificial water as it is easier than you think to work with. You may want to mix a small batch just to get the hang of it then mix your larger batch for your arrangement. Most people get it on the first try to the biggest problems are bubbles and being tacky when cured. This is easily solved by mixing very slow and pouring slowly for the bubbles and making sure you mix exactly 50/50 with both ingredients. If you do these two things your flowers will come out looking like a professional arrangement. See the video below for a first hand look at how to use artificial water.
How to Use Acrylic / Resin Water Video
Questions & Answers
How do you clean yellow acrylic or gel water in a clear vase?
Unfortunately, when acrylic water turns yellow there is nothing you can do to change it.Helpful 1
Can you dye the acrylic water with food coloring or something similar?
Food coloring is a water-based color so it will not work with acrylic water. I've found the best coloring solution for acrylic water is liquid candle dye. Just mix it in when mixing the acrylic water and let it set up like normal. It gives you a nice even color.Helpful 5
How do I get the acrylic resin out of the vase?
Unfortunately, the acrylic resin is permanent and there is no way to remove from a vase without damaging it. There are some gel type artificial waters that can be used and removed from a vase if you are wanting to change out vases or arrangements from time to time.Helpful 2
I’m using Quick water, can I safely use two kits at the same time?
Yes, as long as the mixture is 50/50 you can use as much as you want.
Can you dye silk flowers to look like wine or champagne?
You can dye the acrylic water with liquid candle dye. Water-based dyes do not work as they wont give you an even color and will affect the curing of the product. You can get candle dye at your local hobby store then mix it in when mixing the acrylic water. I hope this helps and I would love to see pictures when you are finished.