Top 3 Best Electric Start Lawn Mowers 2018
The great advantage of an electric start mower is, of course, that you don't have to use a manual pull to crank the motor when you want to use it - instead you just turn a key to switch on the engine, which is much easier and less strain.
I have included a range of models that will hopefully meet a range of tastes and budgets in my top 3 list.
It should be noted that overall, the range of models produced with electric start is much smaller than that for ones with a manual pull crank, so the choice is more restricted.
Factors that you might want to consider when you are looking to buy this type of mower include whether the model in question has front or rear wheel drive, and whether you need a smaller, more maneuverable model for your specific yard, or something larger but less maneuverable.
Generally speaking, narrow cutting decks are best suited to smaller yards, or yards which are more complicated with tight corners to turn.
My 3 Best Electric Start Lawn Mowers
Here are my selections. Note that all three of the models featured have a self propelled feature.
- The Lawn-Boy 10734: Dependable, Affordable, and Maneuverable
- The Husqvarna LC221FHE: Versatile and Easy to Use:
- The Black & Decker CM1936ZA: Rugged and Reliable
I explain my choices and experiences in detail below.
#1 Best Electric Start Lawn Mower: The Lawn-Boy 10734: Dependable, Affordable, and Maneuverable
With an excellent record of producing quality mowers going back to 1934, Lawn-Boy are leading manufacturer of quality machines and this model is no exception.
A great value machine and difficult to beat in its price range, the Kohler engine starts with a simple turn of a key.This machine also features Lawn-Boy's 2-point height-of-cut system enabling fast and simple adjustments to be made to cutting heights.
Rear wheel drive self-propel provides power for excellent traction and control.
There is a large empty bag for ease and convenience.
Lawn Care & Design : How to Mow Like a Professional Landscaper!
I spend hours mowing the lawn in absolutely straight lines on my tractor. If it's not right, I do it again.— Britt Ekland
Each type of grass has an optimum height, find out yours.
Don't scalp your lawn. This will weaken the grass and leave it more vulnerable to heat, cold, drought, and disease.
Overgrown grass should be cut back in stages, a third at a time, with a few days recovery time in between.
Generally speaking, you should never remove more than a third of a grass blade at any one time.
Don't mow the grass when it's wet.
Vary your mowing pattern each time.
Ensure that your mower blades are sharp.
My mom said the only reason men are alive is for lawn care and vehicle maintenance.— Tim Allen
#2 The Husqvarna LC221FHE: Versatile and Easy to Use
Featuring a powerful Briggs & Stratton W-26 EXI engine and easy start, the Husqvarna LC221FHE is a versatile and user-friendly machine.
I love the front wheel drive, which means less energy exerted, important for us oldies. The high rear wheels increase the maneuverability of the mower around the yard.
Simple to set up - only the handle and electric start need fitting, which literally takes a few minutes - you just add the oil and gas, press the ignition and you're fired up and going.
This durable, and efficient machine offers excellent value. I browsed what other users thought out of interest and wasn't surprised to see that it's highly-rated/ I expect the powder coated 21-Inch cutting deck to last a long time.
This generation should entertain this generation. It's only fair. When I was a kid, I mowed the lawn. Now, somebody else's kid can mow the lawn.— Tom T. Hall
General Mower Maintenance Tips!
- Read the manual. The company who built your mower know how best to maintain it. They want your mower to do well, so that you will buy another one off them, when your current one eventually wears out.
- Check the oil. As you would with a car or other motor vehicle, you should monitor the oil, checking that it is at the correct level and it hasn't become too old and dark, or got bits in it. To drain the oil, remove the plug underneath. Your owner's manual should tell you what is the correct type of oil to use.
- If your mower uses gasoline, make sure that you drain the fuel at the end of each mowing session. Old gas is a common cause of problems, including the mower not starting. Always use fresh gas in the Spring.
- Check the air filter for clogs. A dirty or clogged filter will put strain on the engine and increase fuel consumption. Air filters are usually easy to access and inexpensive to replace.
- Clean the undercarriage. Grass can easily clog up the discharge chute and clippings can get caught elsewhere. I would recommend that you remove spark plug first, however, as a safety measure. Then you should brush off as much grass as you can, before hosing the mower off.
- Replace the spark plug. As with the air filter, the spark plug is crucial to the proper function of the mower, easy to replace, and inexpensive. I would recommend changing your spark plug every year.
- Keep the blade sharp and the engine tuned up. A couple more things that will certainly help keep your mower operating efficiently are keeping the blades sharp and tuning. The blade gets dulled over time by encounters with rocks and sticks until it no longer gives a clean cut. You can sharpen the blades yourself but in many ways it is easier to have it done by a mower repair shop. It will cost you a small fee, but you can also have a tuneup at the same time.
Good people don't spend their time being good. Good people want to spend their time mowing the lawn and playing with the dog. But bad people spend all their time being bad. It is all they think about.— Alan Furst
The Black & Decker CM1936ZA: Rugged and Reliable
A cordless electric mower with removable battery, the Black & Decker CM1936ZA is a rugged and reliable machine that is easy to use and maintain.
Electric means that you get mowing that is mess-free and efficient, with reliable instant starting every time. Cordless enables your mower to have all the versatility of movement that you would get with a gas-powered machine.
The Black & Decker's is powered by a 36 Volt battery which can be easily removed and charged anywhere. It has soft grips and easy handle height adjustment.
The Black & Decker can be folded into a remarkably small space in between uses, making it ideal for those with limited storage space.
Switching between mulching and bagging to rear discharge is simple and can be done with the push of a button.
The Black & Decker is exceptionally durable with an exceptional blade design and a lightweight polymer cutting deck that is rust resistant and guaranteed for life. The deck has single lever height adjustment.
Questions & Answers
I have a small yard. Should I get a mower with a narrow or wide cutting deck?
Narrow cutting decks generally work better in small or complicated yards, as they are easier to turn sharply and maneuver around obstacles.Helpful 2
Has the Husqvarna 961430115 HU725AWDE been discontinued?
Yes, it has. Husqvarna are no longer making this model. I would recommend considering the Husqvarna LC221FHE as an alternative.Helpful 3
My husband has mobility issues, and I am concerned that a self-propelled mower might cause him to stumble. What do you think?
Without meeting your husband and understanding his specific mobility issues, I can't give a definitive answer. However, self-propelled mowers are generally much easier to use than regular mowers for people with reduced mobility (as well as for any person tackling hilly or uneven lawns).Helpful 3
© 2014 Paul Goodman