Mantis Tiller Review: An Honest Assement From a Real Owner
Me and My Mantis!
I don't know if you are like me, but I remember seeing all the television and magazine ads that talked about this powerful little garden tiller they called the Mantis.
It was always pictured tearing into rough looking soil and turning it into nicely tilled earth ready for planting.
I was always a little skeptical. I also remembered going to the Mantis site and finding out that they wanted over $300.00 for this little tiller, and I thought "Not!" There is no way that this Mantis tiller could be worth the money.
Well...I finally got one about 3 years ago, and I must say my attitude has changed drastically. I wanted to take a few minutes and share why I love my Mantis tiller!
What's So Great About the Mantis Tiller Cultivator?
A lot Actually!
- First of all, don't let its size fool you. It truly is very powerful. This great little tiller packs a wallop!
- The Mantis' tines turn many times faster than a conventional large garden tiller, which is one of the reasons it is able to break up even the hardest ground.
- I have used my fair share of large garden tillers that literally beat you to death while using them.
- The Mantis is incredibly light weight, weighing on 20 lbs.
- It is very powerful and will dig up to 10" deep.
- It is very compact at only 9" wide and is very easy to start.
- It is great for creating raised flower beds, garden plots, and you can even use it for digging holes or plowing furrows.
- It rips through sod with ease and you can use your Mantis to turn and mix organic matter in your compost pile.
- The handles also fold down for easy storage.
Before and After - Check Out the Power of the Mantis Tiller
Here are a couple of pictures showing an area that I tilled up in my back yard. In just a few short minutes, the Mantis Tiller completely broke up the hard ground leaving nice soft earth ready for planting.
One of the first things that I used my Mantis for was installing an irrigation system. I used the Mantis to prepare the trenches for the water lines. I simply tilled along where I intended my supply lines to go and shoveled out the dirt.
The Mantis broke up the earth to a depth of around 10-12 inches making it very easy to later dig out the trenches.
I have read in many of the reviews that I have seen that people complain about how the Mantis tines get clogged when tilling areas that have still have grass. The tines do get grass wrapped around them, but you will also have the same problem with large garden tillers.
The Mantis tines are made out of hardened steel and guaranteed to last many years. And the tines come off easily for quick cleaning. When the tines do get clogged with grass, it takes less than 5 minutes to clean both set of tines and get ready to go again!
Mantis Kick Stand and Edger Attachment
The Mantis Tiller I purchased came with a kick stand and edger attachment. The kick stand is very handy and keeps the Mantis standing upright when not in use.
The edger attachment works quite well. I have used it around my flower beds, and it does a nice job and leaves a clean manicured edge along the grass line.
The Mantis Tiller is the Best Tool a Gardener Can Have! - My Trusty Mantis Tiller!
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.