I like to share information that makes life more joyful and meaningful. My main interests are health and general wellness in body and mind.
Two Types of Timer Switches
- Manual Setting Timer Switch: This type is more common in my country (Malaysia). You can find two types, either analog or digital. This type of timer switch gives you the option to set “on-off” periods as many times as you want within the 24-hour period. You can use this type of timer switch to control not only lights but also other gadgets like water heaters and air-conditioners. I have two such timer switches installed in my home. One controls the light at the covered car porch (open-air garage with a roof). The other controls the sitting area (lounge) of my home. If you look at the photo of my timer switch, it is set “on” at 18.5 (6:30 p.m.) and “off” at 24 (12 midnight).
- Factory-Preset Timer Switch: The other version is set such that when you switch it on, you can choose the time period for the “off” command. This timer switch can offer up to as many as six choices for the “on” duration. You can choose from 1 minute, 5, 10, 20, 30 and 60 minutes for the gadget to automatically switch off. I would say this is useful for those who are forgetful, or families with children, who more often than not, forget to switch off each time they leave the room. But then again, they may even forget or too lazy to push the “duration” button after switching on! Worse still, they may even press the wrong duration” button, either ending in total darkness or wasting electricity! So far, I have not seen this second version in my country.
Three Advantages of Installing a Manual (Analog) Timer Switch
These are the three advantages of installing a manual timer switch:
- Convenience: You don’t have to get up to switch on the lights and you can carry on with what you are doing without interruption. I am always on the computer, and when it’s getting dark come 6:30 p.m. the lights just come on automatically.
- Security: Even if you are out of the house or on vacation, the lights will be on and off on auto mode. This will deter any intending intruders.
- Economy: This is especially so when on vacation or when you are not at home. You don’t have to leave the lights on the whole day and night. On occasions when I went to bed too early, I still would want to leave lights on for a while. I could sleep peacefully knowing that the lights would be off by 12 midnight.
Read More From Dengarden
Jasmine on March 31, 2019:
Thank you! Especially appreciated your photocell explanation!
Arielqiao on October 16, 2012:
Sounds very good and interesting.
Pavlo Badovskyi from Kyiv, Ukraine on October 16, 2012:
I istalled several of them. they definitely help to save money!