How To Remove Scratches From Glass
Out, Dread Scratch!
Does a scratch on your glass table top make you scream? Scratches on your eyeglass lenses likely do the same! You might be interested in trying some "home remedies" and professional repair kits available to the public before you give up hope.
I have had glass table tops and glass windows scratch over the years and have found a few ways of removing most of the scratches. There are compounds you can purchase for this and there are some home remedies that may work for you.
Repairing Scratches in Glass
These few suggestions may help your scratched-glass complaint :
- Professional glass repair people and others often use Janvil's Cerium Oxide, an electric drill or similar tool, and a buffing wheel attachment that has a firm felt covering it, sold specifically for glass scratch removal. You apply the Cerium Oxide and buff it with the buffing tool very easily. It may take over an hour for the compound and buff to work, depending on how deep the scratches are. Look for auto glass wholesale dealers on the Internet or in the Yellow Pages. Other businesses that use this compound are jewelers and businesses that polish and sell gemstones, so try any of those small businesses near you. In addition, J.C. Whitney auto parts catalog often carries a similar scratch fix-it kit at an affordable price.
- Toothpaste (the non-gel kinds) used as a polishing compound will sometimes remove small scratches from glass table tops.
- Brasso Metal Polish or other types of metal polishes will also sometimes be effective in solving ugly scratch problems. Jewelers rouge also works, but it more expensive.
- Another compound to try: Mix 1 part dry mustard and 1 part white vinegar into a paste-like substance. Apply this paste onto the scratches and polish the surface with a soft cloth. Dry mustard may damage the cornea of the eye, so be careful with it - wear protective goggles.
Number One Remedy
Thais is the Number One recommended compound for removing scratches and avoiding replacement costs for a whole glass table top or mirror.
Time Lapse Video of Easy Scratch Repair with Cerium Oxide
Tip For Eyeglasses and Sunglasses Care
Clean the lenses of your glasses with only a soft cloth. Facial tissues and toilet tissue are made from wood. Wood scratches glass and so will the fibers in the tissues!
Window and Table Glass
Rain Repellants Also Erase Scratches In Glass
Although I have not tried this particular product for removing scratches from glass myself, I have heard and read many successful reports about this item.
Windshield water repellants like Rain-X, reportedly invented in the UK for use withh autos that are built without windshield wipers, is the winning product. For eyeglasses, it offers the preventative of anti-fogging as well as rain repellant in stormy weather. For scratches that are not deep, the method to use is to apply the rain repellant with a soft cloth and to polish very gently for a few seconds.
Deeper scratches may not yield to Rain-X and similar windshield products. Additionally, be careful of plastic lenses as well, which might suffer damage from this or other substances used for scratch removal. Plastic lenses can become cloudy when certain substances are applied.
The materials below includes some additional products that you may want to try as well.
The oldest type of glass known is made from silica, which is a form of sand.
A DIY Scratch Eliminator
This formula is made from supplies you have in your cabinets at home and works well with many types of scratches.
Ingredients and Method
- Make a past of white toothpaste, baking soda, and a little water. Avoid using the fancy, red and green toothpastes.
- Rub the DIY paste you made into the scratch with a clean, lightly dampened cloth and polish.
Rub the paste in a tiny circular motion and try to avoid applying the paste outside the scratched area. Once finished, use a clean soft cloth to wash the window. This process may take several repeated attempts before the scratch is removed or becomes minimally visible.
Metal, Glass, Clearsteel
By 2014, scientists and engineers had developed an intermediate substance with a transparency somewhere between aluminum and glass. In the Star Trek universe, a product exists that is metal, but completely transparent - it is called "clearsteel." When we have that product, it may still scratch and we may need something to repair it.
General Household Cleaners May Also Eliminate Scratches
As seen in the 2-minute video below, simple cleaning agents like furniture police and similar items can remove scratches and clouding from some types of eyeglass lenses. Another tips to add to this film is to be very careful when rinsing the cleared lenses under a kitchen faucet - too strong a stream of water may pop the lenses out, if the glass is at all loose.
Please enjoy the video by Rachel Yatuzis of greenkleeninc.com. She makes short work of eyeglass scratches.
Scratch Removal by A Professional House Cleaner
Scratch Repair Products
This product has saved several customers the cost of window replacement. In some cases, several coats of polish and sanding/buffing are required.
Aquarium with Coral and Pacific Blue Tan Fish
© 2007 Patty Inglish