How to Remove Vinyl Wall Stickers and Decals
Vinyl Wall Sticker Removal
Now, we know that wall stickers are easy to apply, don't we? But are they easy to remove? Well, the short answer is yes—but only if you follow some simple points listed below. The ease of removal can depend on many factors including the type/condition of the wall surface and the length of time the sticker has been applied to the wall.
Above all: Keep calm and carry on!
Tips for Removing Stickers From Walls
The key with vinyl wall sticker removal is to keep the paint intact underneath. If you pull too quickly, the sticker may tear and will probably take some paint with it, too.
- Test the wall sticker by slowly pulling at a corner to see how stuck it is. In some cases, it will remove quite easily without leaving any damage to the paintwork.
- If the sticker is firmly stuck, then use a hairdryer (on a warm setting) to slowly heat the corner. Once that corner starts getting easier to peel, apply heat to the next area as you slowly remove the sticker.
- Remain patient!
- Usually, there isn't any residue with the heat removal. If there is any adhesive stuck to the wall, try removing it with soapy water. However, if that doesn’t remove it, then use an adhesive remover or even WD-40 or nail polish remover (always test a small area first to be sure it doesn't remove color or paint from the wall and use sparingly).
Tips for Removing Vinyl Patterns From Glass
Wall stickers adhere so well to glass that they can be a bit harder to remove, but at least you don’t have to worry about paint coming off with it!
- Straight to the hair dryer! Use a hair dryer on a warm setting, slowly heating the corner. Then keep applying heat to the area that you are peeling off until the whole sticker is removed.
- Again, if there is any adhesive residue, first try soapy water, then move to adhesive remover, WD-40, or nail polish remover if necessary. Always test these products on a small area first and use sparingly.
- If you have a glass scraper, use it with steps one and two to make removal easier.
If you follow the above instructions, then you won’t have a problem. Above all, be patient!