Writing is one of my several hobbies, and lists like the one below help me with writer's block every now and again.
Naming Your Home Can Make It Cozier
Naming one's house is an old British custom that has never really gained much steam in the United States. That's a real shame, because there is nothing so quaint as visiting someone's home and seeing a house name sign by the entrance.
Perhaps the main reason it hasn't caught on as much is that people think they need a large mansion, estate or farm to give their home a name, which is absolutely untrue. True, that people may give you a look when you tell them you've named your home, but that won't be for long, as eventually they may begin to see how cool it would be to call their home by a name instead of just by a number.
Whether coming up with a unique house name for the first time or changing your house name for the fifth time, the list of name ideas below should give you a good jumping off point. They can be used for homes, farms, ranches or any type of property or estate where you call home. Thanks for giving it a look-see.
House Name Ideas
Lily of the Valley
The Little Blue House
Gold Odyssey Farm
House of Secrets
House of Mystery
The Blue Spruce
Orchard House of Dakota
Tips For Naming Your Home
- As long as you don't plan on using your house name as some sort of business or bed and breakfast name, you shouldn't have to ever worry about trademark issues, even if you get inspiration from popular shows, character, etc. Just make sure it won't interfere with the actual business or you can't capitalize on the name in any way.
- Putting a "The" in front of a cool word or "House" after a cool word can often give you a pretty cool name for house.
- Take into account the type of material you want your house sign to be made of, as it should somewhat mesh with the house itself. For example, you probably don't want to put a really fancy, elaborate sign in front of a rural log cabin; it just wouldn't look right.
- Your house sign doesn't have to be on your house. You can place it on a nearby fence or stone wall or hang it at the end of your driveway.
- Don't yell the name of your home so everyone can hear it. Letting neighbors and friends finding out slowly and naturally really is the best way for them to spread the word for you. They will mention it to others in passing, and those that find the custom interesting will want to learn more, and may even come to talk to you.
Famous House Names
|Name of House||Origin or Location of House|
The Sallie House
Asheville, North Carolina
The House of the Seven Gables
Winchester Mystery House
San Jose, California
The White House
Hill House (Fictional)
The Haunting of Hill House (a novel by Shirley Jackson)
Rose Red: The House From the Mind of Stephen King
I can totally see someone giving their house this name if they're a fan of the mini-series. This haunted house film really is one of the better flicks from Stephen King, and it is hardly mentioned by those who aren't hard-core King fans, even serious horror fans forget about this film... such a shame.
Some Good Names for a House
- Bonkers: I remember years ago driving down a street where nearly every home had those hanging metal house signs; the one that stood out to me was "Bonkers" . . . what a name for a house.
- Copper Fox: For a house that has a copper roof and foxes are common.
- Eminence Front: A song by The Who.
- Empok Nor: Fans of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine may want to consider this for a cool house name. This abandoned Cardassian space station takes center stage in Season 5, Episode 24, which is titled "Empok Nor".
- Old Forester: The owner of this house used to be a lumberjack.
- Ponderosa Ranch: From the television western Bonanza.
- Smashed Apple: This would be an awesome name for a house that has a large apple orchard to go along with it.
Read More From Dengarden
Funny House Names
The One Broomstick
Mambo No. 5
The Drowned Trout
Point of No Return
Hole In The Wall
The House That Freddy Built
The ultimate goal of the architect . . . is to create a paradise. Every house, every product of architecture . . . should be a fruit of our endeavor to build an earthly paradise for people.
— Alvar Aalto
Popular House Names of the Future?
- Babylon 4: A great name for a home for fans of the TV show.
- Key House: This house is pretty much the main character in the TV show and comic book Locke & Key.
- Pretty in Pink: This would make a great house name for fans of the film or for homes that are painted pink.
- Riften: I'm a huge fan of the The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim game and seriously thinking of naming my house after the city of Riften (haven of the Thieves Guild).
- The Frosty Grape: Great for homes with a small vineyard.
- The Other House: For fans of the Coraline book and movie; a play on "the other mother" character.
- Surfer House: Can you imagine how cool it would be to see a wooden house sign like this by someone living by the beach.
The above picture is the perfect example of blending similar styles. While wood and brick doesn't necessarily mesh well, the fact that both the sign and the building itself are "worn and weathered" makes you forgive that fact. Placing the house sign among plants and flowers helps drive this point home even further.
Unique House Names That Really Stand Out
Grave of the Lady
Clay Bottom Village
Golden Glow Estate
Little Green Man
Kingdom of Nye
House Sign Examples
I know the video above is an advertising pitch from a company, but it does a really nice job of showcasing the variety of signs available to you when you finally come up with a name for your home.
Fancy House Name Ideas
Parliament of Dreams
Rock Hill Farms
Palace of the Kings
Franklin Castle (Cleveland, Ohio)
Another Batch of Building and House Names That Are Cool and Unique
© 2021 Don