30 Easy DIY Ways to Get Rid of Ants in the Home and Garden Fast
Why Depend on Chemicals When You Have All These Natural Remedies!
Ants begin their arrival in the mid to late spring when the weather starts to warm up. You must be prepared for them. Many commercial ant killing products are effective, but only because they contain toxic substances. This poison kills the ants, but may also have an effect on you or your pets. You may not notice it instantly but in the long run, insecticides are indeed harmful. Safe alternatives are available, including the use of products that you already have in your home. These can be used to get rid of ants safely.
Tips for a Clean, Ant-Free Kitchen
- Never leave dirty dishes in the sink.Wash them up after each meal.
- Keep trash cans and bins far from your house.
- Take the trash out every day.
How to Keep Ants Away From Your Home?
1) Clean the house: Ants leave trails for other ants to follow. Wipe the scent trails and you get rid of them. A safe way to do this is using a spray of water and cinnamon or cayenne pepper. Cleaning your home by removing all food smell attractants for ants is also an option, such as cleaning up crumbs or other small dishes on counters and floors. Find out what causes the ants to make your home their camp and get rid of it.
2) Block their path: Try to find out how the ants come into your kitchen. Search ants on the windowsill, you'll probably come across the window in the kitchen. Glue mosquito screens on the windows, so that their path is blocked.
3) Keep your food jars clean and closed: Foods should be stored in airtight plastic containers. Make sure you close the lid after the use.
4) Nothing sugary on the floor: Spilled sugar and other food residues should be wiped off immediately.
5) Do not eat outside the dining room: Avoid eating anywhere but in the dining room, this prevents the spreading of food crumbs to other parts of the house and makes cleaning easier for everyone.
6) Silicon sealant: Any holes or cracks should be sealed with something like a silicon caulk immediately. Using silicone sealant around each window and door is your best bet.
7) Black Pepper: One thing that works great to keep ants away is black pepper. Sprinkle it on places where you see ants. Do the same in the ant holes. This will not kill, but keeps them away.
8) Stop ants in their trail by sprinkling peppermint, paprika, red pepper or borax in their paths.
9) Copper: Ants will not cross copper. So surround the area which you want to be ant free with copper.
10) Detergent can be helpful: Pour a little pure detergent, preferably lemon, on the route taken by the ants from your garden to your home.
Some people cannot bear to kill ants and if you're one of them, you can still keep them out of your home. Take a jar of honey and place it in a remote area. The ants will be happy to stay out of your kitchen.
How to Keep Ants Away From Your Garden
11) Remove old tree stumps and rotting wood from your garden.
12) Ants hate these plants, these plants in your garden will significantly reduce the chance of ants:
13) Get rid of other insects: Your garden might have some other insects that can entice the ants. Aphids, mealybugs and whiteflies are only a few species of insects that secrete honeydew, which ants love. Eradicate the insects and you are a step forward towards getting rid of ants.
14) Keep it clean: Remove the trash immediately: Letting trash build up only adds to your problem.
15) Avoid standing water: Remove any standing water from flower beds, hoses, or downspouts. Ants need water, too.
DIY Ant Trap
How to Kill Ants Immediately
16) Hot Water: Pour hot water into their hillside holes. This is a perfectly safe way to eliminate and prevent them.
17) Cereal: Just prepare a small dish of the grain and leave it out for the ants. The cereal grains will expand in the stomach of the ants and kill them.
18) Baking Soda: Sprinkle baking soda in the ant’s way. The ants will eat it and die in it.
19) Vinegar: Pour some vinegar mixed with water on the anthills. Ants hate the smell of vinegar. So just put some vinegar around the house where your ants roaming around the most. This will kill most of them and prevent more ants from coming into your home.
20) Baby Powder: Baby powder can be used for killing ants. It can also be used in order to keep them away. Just put some baby powder on the ants. Funny but true!
21) Cayenne Pepper: Cayenne pepper can be sprinkled around the anthill and any place where they can enter your home.
22) Tree Tanglefoot Insect Barrier: Tree Tanglefoot Insect Barrier is a product that can be placed around the stems of plants and trees, killing ants.
23) Adding vinegar to the water you use to clean your house helps to kill ants.
24) Cinnamon: Sprinkling cinnamon around your house is known to work.
25) Diatomaceous Earth: DE, or diatomaceous earth, when sprinkled on their path, will cause them to dry out.
26) Citrus peels: Citrus peels can be used to get rid of ants fast. Blend water and citrus peel in a blender and use it as a spray against ants.
27) Perfumes: Use perfumes to get rid of ants. Expensive but works.
28) Cream of tartar and tea tree oil can kill ants.
If you do not own any pets or do not have children, you can use these products to get rid of ants immediately:
29) Ant traps: In your home, you can place ant bait traps. If you want to get rid of ants in the house, these traps are the best under sinks and trash cans.
30) Ant Sprays: For your home, there is also the basic ant spray. This kills on contact and leaves a residue to kill and repel any ants for a certain time, usually three months.
Outside your home, there are concentrated liquids that you can mix and spray around window seals and door sides.
Kill Ants Using Borax
Salt water: Boil water and pour some salt. Spray this salty water to get rid of ants.
Cucumber: Place cucumber pieces where you find ants the most. They cannot stand the smell of it.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.