6 Tips to Get Rid of Pesty Mosquitos, Ants, and Wasps
Summer Pests That Drive You Crazy
Mosquitoes’, bees, yellow-jackets, wasps and hornets are all part of the summer season. And I, for one intend to enjoy the beautiful out-doors without getting “eaten alive” by the dreaded mosquito. Yellow jackets, wasps and hornets love to gather at my back door just waiting for me to take a step out side. But guess what? Last summer I discovered a simple, Eco-friendly way to discourage them from hangin’ out at my house forever.
A Plain Paper Bag Will Detract Hornets and Wasps
How To Keep Wasps, Hornets and Yellow Jackets Away
This tip works like a charm and is a great way to recycle plastic bags.
1. Fill a small to medium brown paper bag with 3 or 4 plastic bags (crumple the plastic bags).
2. Tie the top of the paper bag with string or twine, leaving enough string for hanging. Hang the filled bag just below the eaves, or wherever wasps, hornets or yellow jackets hang out. The wasps think it's a nest and will not fly near it.
This works on a very simple principle: wasps avoid the nests of other wasps. By giving the appearance of a real wasp nest, any nearby wasps will keep their distance, commonly about 20' or further.
I am happy to report that I have been hornet free for years.
3 Remedies for Bee Stings
If there are a thousand people at a picnic, and only one person gets stung, that one person will be me.
According to wikipedia: A bee sting strictly means a sting from a bee(honey bee, bumblebee, sweat bee, etc). In the vernacular it can mean a sting of a bee, wasp,hornet, or yellow jacket. Some people may even call the bite of a horse-fly a bee sting. The sting of most of these species can be quite painful, and are therefore an object of dread for many people.
If you can draw the stinger out before applying medication, be sure to do that.
There are several natural remedies that can be used for bee stings:
- Baking Soda -Simply make a paste, combining the soda with a little water and apply to affected area.
- Toothpaste -Toothpaste isn't just for brushing your teeth. Along with being a good household cleaner, it is also used for bee stings. Just rub a small amount on the affected area.
- Urine - No, this is not a typo. Applying urine to a bee sting works. And the urine doesn't have to be yours. Ewww!
Three Tips to Keep Mosquitoes at Bay
How To Keep Mosquitoes From Biting You
Grandma used Vicks Vapo-rub for everything. From a sore throat to mosquito repellant, vicks was her answer for curing what ails you. To keep mosquitoes from biting, she would rub vicks on 4 or 5 spots - a little dab on the feet, legs, arms and neck. Ne'er a mosquito would bother me. And neither did my friends.
Another way to outsmart mosquitos is to place some sheets of fabric softener such as bounce in shoes, pockets or sleeves. Tying a sheet of bounce to belt loops will repel mosquitos for some people..
Peppermint Essential oil is a natural deterrent against mosquitos and other flying insects. I prefer this method because it's chemical free. Simply apply a small drop to ankles, wrist and neck. Use only pure, undiluted oil.
A Few Facts About Mosquitoes
In case you are under the impression that there is only one kind of mosquito, hold on to your hat. In this big world of ours you will find over 2,500 different species. If you are living in the United States, be prepared for 150 kinds of mosquitoes and 52 of these are found in the Golden State, California.
- Every type of mosquito must have water in order to complete their life-cycle.
- Only the adult females bite humans and animals.
- The males prefer plant juices
- The female cannot lay viable eggs unless she gets plenty of blood meal.
- How long the mosquito lives depends on the temperature, time of year, humidity and even their sex.
- Females can live about a month, while males only live about a week.
Natural Ways to Get Rid of Ants
Get Rid Of Ants Naturally
When a string of ants invade your home, you might want to try a couple of these suggestions. My mother never had an ant problem. The minute she spotted even one ant, she would go for the baking soda or lemon juice.
- Pouring lemon juice around areas ants frequent is a great ant deterrent.
- Baking soda can deter ants as well. Just pour a solid line in areas of activity and they won't cross it.
- Spread a ring of coffee grounds around sensitive plants to discourage ants.
- Ants hate vinegar. Spray it around doorways and other areas they frequent to repel these tiny workers.
- Essential oils such as Eucalyptus mixed 50/50 with water is one of my favorites. Pour the mixture into a spray bottle and spray at entrances and along trails.
Candle Wax Stuck on Your Carpet?
Removing Candle Wax From a Carpet
I am a candle lover as long as they are made of bees wax and use pure essential oils. I clearly remember my first candle wax spill, dripping on to my beautiful, expensive indian throw rug.
I panicked and instantly called some friends, looking for help. Gloria, my friend from Guatemala, came to my rescue. " Go get a brown paper sack, or paper towel and lay it directly over the spilled wax.
Using a heated iron, press the paper by ironing directly on it. Lift the paper and the wax will be gone from the rug and onto the paper. Glory be - it worked. My candled-stained rug, now looked brand new.
Keep Bugs Away With Bounce Fabric Softener
A sheet of Bounce fabric softener is not just for the dryer. These amazing little sheets of fabric softner will keep your entire house bug free. Ah-ha! I thought you'd like this one.
All types of bugs, roaches and spiders meet their maker after coming in contact with a single sheet of bounce. No substitute softener will work. It must be Bounce brand.
So, lay a few sheets anywhere around the house, near doors, vents, openings - any area that is "bugging you." Bonus - it smells good too.
Crazy Tips You've Never Heard About That Work
I thought I'd throw in a few more tips. If you've read this far, you deserve it.
- To cover furniture scratches - apply peanut butter (without the peanuts) to the scratch.
- To soften bread or rolls that are hard - stick them in a brown paper bag, sprinkle the bag with water and put the bag in a hot oven for a minute or less.
- To clear a stuffy nose - when boiling water for your morning oatmeal, gently inhale the steam. This is also great for your skin as it instantly hydrates and opens pores.
- To exfoliate the lips - rub a little organic sugar on both upper and lower lip area.
- To add a light, natural color to your lips pat lips with beets or beet juice.
- To remove burnt food from a cookie sheet grab some ketchup, spread on the area and let it sit for a few minutes.
Well, thank you for joining me and I hope these 6 tips for pesty mosquitoes, ants and wasps will put a big smile on your face.
Will you share these tips or keep them to yourself?
How I Came To Write This Article
I am basically lazy. Yes, I admit it. If I can find an easier way to do anything, I will. I am also a "security guard" for Mother Nature and have been switching over to the natural, Eco-friendly way of doing things.
Being the oldest in my family and the care-taker too, I grew up cleaning, cooking and taking responsibility for everyone's welfare. At the age of 11, I even painted the out side of our entire little white-framed house that Daddy built. I did this all by myself. I was ashamed and embarrassed that we were poor and tried to do what I could to camouflage that fact.
Little did I know, that one day, all the little tricks I learned for "keeping house" would not only come in handy, but would even inspire me to write a hub.
Which tip is your favorite?
Questions & Answers
I constantly step on ant beds as they crawl all over my toes and sting me. However, I want the ants to sting only the soles of my feet. How can I deter them?
Tuck a couple of Bounce fabric sheets in your pocket or socks when you're outside. Ants don't like them.
© 2011 Audrey Hunt