I have an insect problem in my home. There are beatles for sure, plus some kind of biting mite. My family room vinyl floor has been eaten up by something, and it is continuing to do so. What started as a quarter sized area turned into plate sized within months. The question I have is my dark ceiling beams have a white powdery film on them. Could it be mold?

Answer

It could be a mildew-type mold, and it may or may not be a health hazard, or at least it will likely rot the beams. This link shows pictures of different types of fungi that can cause the decay of timber:

http://www.thebeamguy.com/rotfungi.php.

You could try posting on the DIYNot forum here. In fact, this link shows a question about mold similar to what you describe:

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/loft-rafters-wh...

Updated on April 12, 2018

Original Article:

What Causes Damp in Houses? How to Get Rid of Mould and Condensation
By Eugene Brennan
working