I had that same problem, and that is why I finally installed a sink for the water to run into so that I could catch the lint better. I'd had that sort of system in a different house, and I knew it worked. I never tried putting a lint catcher on a hose that went into a wall, and I think that it probably would not be a good idea because the lint would catch at the bottom and actually cause the pipe to clog faster. Two ideas I have are:
1. Use enzymes in the pipe regularly.
2. Get a front loading washer that emits less water (this is expensive, but might solve a serious problem).
From what I learned, the plumbing in older homes is not really built to handle the volume of water from extra-large top loaders. Front loading machines are built to be more water efficient and might help.