Philosophical Writer and YouTube Creator covering the topics of Simplicity, Homemaking and the Romantic Vintage Lifestyle.
Decide What Theme You Want for Your Haven
A decluttered environment and special amenities can work together to make our homes feel like a spa escape everyday! Some simple steps will bring you toward creating the haven of your dreams.
Setting a theme will get you excited about creating an atmosphere of rest. You'll stay motivated to keep your place tidy.
Here are some ideas:
- Country Bed and Breakfast
- Health Spa Retreat
- Tropical Fun Beach Resort
- Log Cabin Nature Getaway
Remove All Unnecessary Visual Noise
One of the greatest benefits of staying at a hotel or Bed & Breakfast is the absence of clutter. You may notice an automatic sense of relaxation upon entering a newly prepared room. Developing the interest of a minimalist lifestyle will naturally take care of the desire to accumulate excess possessions, decorations, and paper clutter. Why not give yourself the gift of a clutter free environment today?
- Thoroughly clean your home one room at a time, this will give you a clean slate.
- After doing minor straightening grab a laundry basket and perform a clean sweep by placing the miscellaneous items into the basket.
- Work the basket. You now have 3 action choices to take for each piece of clutter.1) Toss trash into a nearby container. 2) Place giveaway items into a bag or box. Often the Salvation Army will pick up the items directly from your front porch. 3) Return to proper location. You can use the laundry basket to return items to their homes.
FlyLady TV: Hot Spots Make our Homes Messy
Set the Tone With a Welcoming Entryway
- Hang chimes and a seasonal wreath.
- Bake some cookies, or burn a scented candle, to add a homey fragrance for people to enjoy as they make their way through your front door.
- Have an easy going and hospitable spirit. If you live alone, be your own hostess! Having a rough day? It's acting time. Imagine you’re the owner of this Bed & Breakfast and act like a professional host. Not only will your family or guests appreciate it but you will be doing yourself a big favor as you will immediately feel better. “Act as if.”
Stock Your Fridge and Pantry With Your Favorite Foods
- Make a large skillet Spinach Frittata and reheat in the oven to enjoy for several days.
- Stock healthy smoothie making supplies such as frozen bananas, strawberries, and blueberries. You can even make a Green Smoothie by adding in a few veggies. Imagine your at a health spa.
- Granola, yogurt, fruit, croissants.
- Hash browns, scrambled eggs, bacon, and sausage.
- Toast or bagels with butter and preserves.
- Orange juice & coffee.
Play Up the Seasons
For the warmer months stock your haven with ingredients for making lemon aid, smoothies and ice tea. Have the grill clean and ready to go with charcol and lighter fluid for those fun summer cook outs. Memorial Day, Father's Day, Forth Of July and Labor Day are popular days to enjoy BBQ on the grill, yet you may wish to grill every week. Keep a variety of bulk burgers, chicken, fish, or veggie burgers in your freezer for optimal freshness. Onions, peppers, zucchini and asparagus are great veggies to buy throughout the grill season as they make a balanced accompaniment.
Warm Season Outdoor Equipment:
Resorts often include bike or snorkel equipment in their vacation packages. Temporarily switch hats to become your own concierge as you make sure you have the necessary adventure gear in working condition.
- Free Weights
- Roller skates or roller blades
Placing a warm blanket across the couch or setting out a reading chair creates a cozy environment. A stack of your favorite books and eReader can be stored out of site in a draw or nearby closet. If you have a hearth clean the chimney for safety and have a ready supply of logs.
Stock your pantry with an assortment of herbal teas (peppermint is popular in the winter), black teas, hot chocolate, marshmallows, and ingredients for making S'mores.
Cold Season Equipment:
- Have access to ice skates, sleds or ski equipment if there is snowfall.
Add Tranquil Amenities to Your Bathroom
There is a universal appeal with selecting an aquatic theme in your bathroom. This does not need to follow the same theme of your "vacation getaway" inspired home. A few water centered ideas include:
Beach: Starfish, sea shells in a glass container filled with sand.
Beauty Spa: Classic deco with real or artificial flowers on the counter, candle arrangement or a rock fountain. You could also purchase a spa gift basket.
Nautical: Hang an over-sized ship steering whee and a painting of the ocean.
Pirate: Place a small mermaid statue on the bathroom counter and hang a picture of a pirate ship on the wall.
Of course a combination of the above suggestions can be mixed and matched.
Now add spa treatment amenities:
- Baskets filled with scented lotions & exfoliating body scrub
- Essential oils for adding to the bathwater
- A tray of gathered soaps, bath oils, and lotions
- Stock extra towels
In The Bedroom Create a Relaxing Place for Sleep
- Extra pillows
- Flowers (real or artificial)
- A comfy reading area
- A few select magazines and books for easy access
If Your Home Was a Commercial Bed and Breakfast, Would It be Ready?
Looking around your home or place objectively will give you a fresh perspective on your surroundings. Perhaps your stove burners could use replacing. They even sell them in the color black making cleanup simple and camouflaging the charcoal stains that can build up over time! Seeing your home as a bed and breakfast will continually give you a fresh perspective and keep you inspired.
Add a Gaming Center
Have a box filled with games ready to go. Stay indoors for some relaxing entertainment.
- The Game of Life
- Deck of cards
- Apples To Apples
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
© 2013 Rain San Martin
Rain San Martin (author) from Fort Wayne on July 08, 2013:
Yes, I've noticed I feel so much more peaceful and relaxed when clutter zones are cleared out. Thanks for your comment Nate.
Nathan Bernardo from California, United States of America on July 06, 2013:
Environment has a lot to do with our well-being, especially our living area. Clutter encroaching on us can stifle and depress us. Bringing in pleasant scents and different means for pleasant activities would enliven our senses and make us feel better. Great ideas!