Glenis spends a lot of time in her kitchen. When the worktops were looking tired, her minimum-disruption solution was quartz overlays.
Kitchen Renovated in Half a Day with Thin Quartz Counter Overlays
A Quick and Easy Solution for Shabby Kitchen Worktops
Quartz kitchen counter overlays are a quick, reasonably priced solution to shabby worktops; and they give a high-quality uplift to any kitchen. Read on to find out how my kitchen was given a fresh new look within the space of a few hours.
Advantages of Quartz Worktop Overlays
- It's not necessary to rip out the existing worktops - thin quartz overlays are firmly glued on top of them.
- Tiling is not damaged and so does not need to be replaced - the thin quartz does not noticeably overlap the tiles.
- The worktops are installed within a couple of hours so there is very little, if any, disruption to household routines. I cooked an evening meal on the day that mine were installed.
- Very little dust and no redecorating necessary.
- Quartz is extremely hard and difficult to chip.
- Unlike many other materials used for worktops, quartz does not scratch.
- In the unlikely event that there is a chip caused by heavy impact, quartz countertops can be repaired.
- Quartz can withstand very high temperatures.
- Non porous, stain resistant, and hygienic.
- Can be wiped down with water.I have found that dampened microfiber cloths are perfect for the job. Add a little washing up liquid for stubborn stains.I use these cloths for a multitude of cleaning tasks in my home and they have considerably reduced the amount of chemical cleaners that I need.
- More cost-effective than replacing laminated counter with a solid granite or stone worktop.
- Thin quartz is lighter than solid granite and stone, so it's unnecessary to brace cupboards.
- The quartz is cool to the touch - ideal for warm climates, and for rolling pastry.
Schedule of 1-day of Work to Install Quartz Kitchen Counter Overlays
- A fitter made a preliminary visit to take measurements of my kitchen worktops.
- He made a thick card template of the worktops and discussed choice of pattern and colour from a wide range of quartz samples.
- Two weeks later two fitters arrived to carry out the work.
- A specialist gas fitter was called in to disconnect and remove the oven hob before the work started.
- Within a few hours the fitters had inlaid a replacement kitchen sink ,manufactured by Franke, constructed a small extension to the existing kitchen counter, and laid 7-millimetre made-to-measure worktop overlays on all of my counter tops.
- The gas fitter returned to replace the gas hob after the worktops had been fitted
- A quick clean of the kitchen and the worktops were ready for immediate use.
Are Quartz Worktop Overlays Durable?
6 years after installation my worktops look as good as new. They are scratch resistant and withstand high temperatures.
Cost of Quartz Overlays
Shop around and get three quotations for your project. A small start-up business gave the best quote for the work that I wanted done. The same installer now states on his website (2022) that most of the worktop refurbishments that his company undertakes cost less than £2000.
What Is Quartz?
Quartz is the most abundant mineral in the earth's crust.
Read More From Dengarden
Quartz slabs that are used for worktops are manufactured goods containing polymers and resins. The composition of the slabs makes them extremely hard and durable.
To learn more, consider reading the Forbes article Quartz vs. Granite Countertops—A Geologist's Perspective.
Constructing a Quartz Worktop Extension to House a Dishwasher
I had a narrow space in my kitchen where I wanted to extend my worktop and install a dishwasher. The installation team built a sub-frame, attached it to the end of the existing worktop, and added an end panel, creating space to slide an 18-inch dishwasher underneath. The dishwasher is adequate for my two- person household retirees but a large family or somebody who entertains a lot definitely needs something bigger, space permitting.
Minor Issues With Quartz Worktops
- Quartz worktops are slippery, which makes them unsafe to use as a chopping surface.
- Some appliances placed on the worktop may have a tendency to slide. For example, my freestanding microwave oven slips on the worktop so I have placed a non-slip pad underneath it.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Questions & Answers
Question: Can quartz worktops go over tile?
Answer: I checked my supplier’s website, and it states that quartz worktops can cover any work surface, provided that the surface is sound.
© 2016 Glen Rix