How to Dispose of Broken Glass Garbage Safely
How to Get Rid of Glass in the Garbage
Understanding how to dispose of dangerous garbage like broken glass and crokery is important for everyone's safety. If you do not have access to a glass recycling bin or a depot, here is the best solution.
Items You Will Need
- A piece of cloth, the thicker the better. The size will depend upon the amount of glass.
- A hammer.
- A box with a lid.
- Strong adhesive tape.
- Paper and a red marker.
How to Safely Dispose of Broken Glass
- Place the glass onto the cloth and wrap it securely so that it is covered.
- Gently break into smaller pieces.
- Lift and put it into your box.
- If the box is big and there is a large gap, then put more cloth on top of the wrapped glass to keep it secure.
- Close the box and seal with strong tape.
- On the large white piece of paper, write the words "Danger. Broken glass in box" in red.
- Attach danger sign to the box with tape.
- Place on a high shelf until garbage collection day.
- Make a reminder for yourself beside your garbage bin so you don’t forget to place the box of glass inside the bin for collection.
How Not to Dispose of It
Let's go back to the beginning where you have just broken some glass.
Here is the wrong way to dispose of it:
- Don't wrap the glass in newspaper and then throw it into your bin bag or trash can. The glass will cut through the paper. The only thing you've done is camouflage a very dangerous weapon and created an accident waiting to happen.
How Do You Get Rid of your Broken Glass
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
Questions & Answers
How do I dispose of glasses in a hygienic way?
If you mean reading glasses, then there are a lot of charities that collect them for people who need them in poorer countries. They hand them out free to those who need them.
If you mean drinking glasses, then I would wrap them up as mentioned in this article above and add them to your trash.
If they are not broken, then why not bring them to a charity shop and let them sell them for a good cause.Helpful 11
Can I put a broken cup in the black garbage bin?
Yes you can, but I would advise you to wrap it up with a heavy cloth first.Helpful 9